Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "King Holger (CI/AFP2)" <Ho...@de.bosch.com> on 2013/09/24 12:05:56 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache 2.4 | "require" and AuthMerging

Dear Apache community,

we just wonder why when using the following configuration:

# allow using the "/" directory of this virtual host by all
<Location />
    Require all granted
</Location>

Alias /fslogs /opt/wcms/fs4/log
<Directory /opt/wcms/fs4/log>
    IndexIgnore .. fs4.pid fs-wrapper.log fs-gc.log
    IndexOptions +FancyIndexing
    Options +Indexes

    AuthType Basic
    AuthName "Restricted access"
    AuthBasicProvider file
    AuthUserFile /tmp/passwd
    Require valid-user
</Directory>

the default handling of overwriting access directives in sub contexts does not work properly (AuthMerging off). Might it be due to the two directives "Location" and "Directory"? We expected that for "/opt/wcms/fs4/log" just authenticated and valid users should have access. So, access should be limited. Instead we see that everybody can browse the directory.

Kind regards,
Holger King

Re: [users@httpd] Apache 2.4 | "require" and AuthMerging

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.
Location has higher precedence than Directory.  It's merged after, not before.

On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 6:05 AM, King Holger (CI/AFP2)
<Ho...@de.bosch.com> wrote:
> Dear Apache community,
>
> we just wonder why when using the following configuration:
>
> # allow using the "/" directory of this virtual host by all
> <Location />
>     Require all granted
> </Location>
>
> Alias /fslogs /opt/wcms/fs4/log
> <Directory /opt/wcms/fs4/log>
>     IndexIgnore .. fs4.pid fs-wrapper.log fs-gc.log
>     IndexOptions +FancyIndexing
>     Options +Indexes
>
>     AuthType Basic
>     AuthName "Restricted access"
>     AuthBasicProvider file
>     AuthUserFile /tmp/passwd
>     Require valid-user
> </Directory>
>
> the default handling of overwriting access directives in sub contexts does not work properly (AuthMerging off). Might it be due to the two directives "Location" and "Directory"? We expected that for "/opt/wcms/fs4/log" just authenticated and valid users should have access. So, access should be limited. Instead we see that everybody can browse the directory.
>
> Kind regards,
> Holger King

Eric Covener
covener@gmail.com