Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Graham Anderson <gr...@siren.cc> on 2006/07/01 01:40:13 UTC

Can ssh ...but Can't svn+ssh

I can ssh into my remote server with:
ssh svn@www.mysite.com
or
ssh root@www.mysite.com

but, I can not do the below:

root#: svn list  svn+ssh://www.mysite.com/home/svn/repository/myproject/
root@www.mysite.com's password:
bash: svnserve: command not found
subversion/libsvn_ra_svn/marshal.c:255: (apr_err=210002)
svn: Connection closed unexpectedly

what could be the problem ?
Does my svnserve.conf file need to be modified in some way ?

many thanks as am having troubles working with a remote repository
local repositories work like a charm :)

Re: Can ssh ...but Can't svn+ssh

Posted by Bob Proulx <bo...@proulx.com>.
Graham Anderson wrote:
> Ok, that is a good clue :)
>
>  robert$ ssh svn@www.mysite.com 'type svnserve'
> svn@www.mysite.com's password:
>
> bash: type: svnserve: not found

You need to determine why svnserve is not found.  It looks from your
previous data that it *should* be found because it is installed in
/usr/local/bin and /usr/local/bin is in PATH.  But it isn't in your
failing case.  You will need to debug why.

> does any of this have to do with:
> http://subversion.tigris.org/faq.html#ssh-svnserve-location

Almost but not quite.  That title looks like it should.  But the
contents are more concerned about locking down ssh access.  It should
work here too but it would prevent you using ssh for anything else on
the system.  You could lock yourself out accidentally if you are not
careful.

Bob

Re: Can ssh ...but Can't svn+ssh

Posted by Graham Anderson <gr...@siren.cc>.
Ok, that is a good clue :)

  robert$ ssh svn@www.mysite.com 'type svnserve'
svn@www.mysite.com's password:

bash: type: svnserve: not found

does any of this have to do with:
http://subversion.tigris.org/faq.html#ssh-svnserve-location

many thanks for the help

Re: Can ssh ...but Can't svn+ssh

Posted by Bob Proulx <bo...@proulx.com>.

Re: Can ssh ...but Can't svn+ssh

Posted by Graham Anderson <gr...@siren.cc>.
I get:
robert$ echo 'type svnserve' | ssh -T svn@www.mysite.com
svn@www.mysite.com's password:
svnserve is /usr/local/bin/svnserve

On my remote server, if I get the same path using 'which svnserve'

Also:
I CAN check out from the repository with:
svn checkout svn://www.mysite.com/home/svn/repository/myproject/trunk .

But, I CAN NOT use svn+ssh
svn checkout svn+ssh://svn@www.mysite.com/home/svn/repository/
myproject/trunk  .

With the above, I get:
bash: svnserve: command not found
subversion/libsvn_ra_svn/marshal.c:255: (apr_err=210002)
svn: Connection closed unexpectedly

many thanks as any help is appreciated

Re: Can ssh ...but Can't svn+ssh

Posted by Graham Anderson <gr...@siren.cc>.
Sorry for the multiple posts...

I have also set up the ssh user-agent where entering:
ssh -i ~/ssh-key svn@www.mysite.com"
works as advertised

Re: Can ssh ...but Can't svn+ssh

Posted by Graham Anderson <gr...@siren.cc>.