Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Brian Slesinsky <bs...@wired.com> on 1997/08/08 06:24:29 UTC

documenting the stable parts

Is the API interface between an Apache module and the core going to be
backwards compatible in 2.0?  That's the part I'm most interested in.

(I thought I read somewhere that it was, but I can't find it now.)

__Brian__

Re: documenting the stable parts

Posted by Brian Slesinsky <bs...@wired.com>.
Since 2.0 won't be backward compatible there will need to be some
incentive to upgrade.  Perhaps one way to do that is to write good API
docs for 2.0 and leave 1.x (mostly) undocumented?  :-)

On the other hand, if there's a compatibility layer, the 1.x API docs
could describe only the calls that are supported by it, so people who
write to the documented interface are covered.  I think module writers
would use that API when possible so their modules can work with both 1.x
and 2.0.

In any case it sounds like the API docs will have to be closely
coordinated with the 2.0 effort.

Brian Slesinsky                          www.wired.com/staff/bslesins

Re: documenting the stable parts

Posted by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org>.