Posted to ivy-user@ant.apache.org by Niklas Matthies <ml...@nmhq.net> on 2007/12/10 12:25:48 UTC

Status promotion

On the Best Practices page, "Dealing with integration versions" talks
about promoting the status of builds, but remains pretty vague on how
to go about this. Ideally, we'd like to simply relabel (or copy) the
tested build of a module to a better status. Is there a recommended
way how to do this?

Side note: We'd like to avoid to actually re-build the artifacts of
the module, since it introduces an unnecessary risk of the build not
being 100% the same after all.

-- Niklas Matthies

Re: Status promotion

Posted by Niklas Matthies <ml...@nmhq.net>.
On Mon 2007-12-10 at 13:46h, Gilles Scokart wrote on ivy-user:
> Some ideas:
> One thing you could do is to use different repositories.  A
> promotion can maybe be base on an install task. You can maybe even
> try to use a dual resolver to keep your jar in an unpromoted
> repository, and put the ivy.xml into other repositories.
>
> An other idea might be to have you continuous build deploying
> modules with organisation like 'myorg.continuous'. Then when you
> want to promote it, you could release an ivy.xml without artefact in
> 'myorg.release' that only depends the corresponding module in
> 'myorg.continuous'.

Thanks for your suggestions. But wouldn't using separate repositories
or separate organisations kinda defeat the purpose of Ivy having a
built-in notion of status?

-- Niklas Matthies

RE: Status promotion

Posted by Gilles Scokart <gs...@gmail.com>.
Some ideas:
One thing you could do is to use different repositories.  A promotion can maybe be base on an install task.
You can maybe even try to use a dual resolver to keep your jar in an unpromoted repository, and put the ivy.xml into
other repositories.

An other idea might be to have you continuous build deploying modules with organisation like 'myorg.continuous'. Then
when you want to promote it, you could release an ivy.xml without artefact in 'myorg.release' that only depends the
corresponding module in 'myorg.continuous'.

My 2c.

Gilles