Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by david smith <da...@dreamofblue.com> on 2004/05/24 13:44:10 UTC

Newbie needs help upgrading SVN

I'm relatively new to SVN, yet I am my employer's source code control
manager. In light of the security updates, I want to upgrade our SVN
server, which uses the svnserve server on a Windows 2000 Server, but I
don't want to lose any of the repository's history or, heaven forbid,
content. Can someone point me to some newbie-friendly documentation on
upgrading SVN from one version to another?

Thanks.

---

Re: Fwd: Newbie needs help upgrading SVN

Posted by John Peacock <jp...@rowman.com>.
Patrick Burleson wrote:

> Yes, I know it's overkill. I tend to do a lot of overkill when it
> comes to backing up the data during an upgrade.

Then you should make that explicit in your advice, I think.

> I guess he could just backup the repository directory.

That won't be much help; if the server is running, there could be log files
generated during the backup.  If you are going to worry about backing up the
repository, do it the right way or not at all.

> In addition, the user didn't specify from what version they were
> upgrading. Just going the conservative, non-data-losing route.

For most people running post-1.0.0 Win32 binaries, just upgrading the
application files is sufficient.  IMHO, it's pointless to go the rinse/repeat
route if a quick combthrough is all that is required. ;~)

John

--
John Peacock
Rowman & Littlefield Publishing Group

Re: Fwd: Newbie needs help upgrading SVN

Posted by Patrick Burleson <pb...@gmail.com>.
Yes, I know it's overkill. I tend to do a lot of overkill when it
comes to backing up the data during an upgrade. I guess he could just
backup the repository directory.

In addition, the user didn't specify from what version they were
upgrading. Just going the conservative, non-data-losing route.

Patrick

Posted by John Peacock <jp...@rowman.com>.

Posted by Patrick Burleson <pb...@gmail.com>.
CC back to the list.