Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Tony Cuevas <tc...@stanford.edu> on 2004/03/16 22:23:51 UTC

[users@httpd] Serving files whose name contains special characters

Hi-

I have looked through the documentation for Apache 2.048 as well as
v.1.3 and have not been able to find a working solution. I have also
searched the web in many places and still cannot find the answer.

Problem: I am having problems getting Apache to serve files that contain
special characters in their name such as ñ (ntilde) and accents.
For example, a referring page will have an anchor with an href with the
actual character and another link with the escaped value (%F1). When
attempting to follow either of the links, Apache returns a 404
indicating object not found.
The error log shows that apache is mapping the URI to an incorrect path.

refering page (/tc/linker.html)

error log:
File does not exist: C:/apps/apache2/Apache2/htdocs/tc

BTW, the space character (escaped or non-escaped) works fine.
I have looked at Multiviews but this does not appear to help either. I
have verified that the ISO-8859-1 is stated in the config file. Does
anyone have experience with configuring apache for serving such files?

Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

/tc

Re: [users@httpd] No One Responds! Serving files whose name contains special characters

Posted by Jez Hancock <je...@munk.nu>.
On Fri, Mar 19, 2004 at 08:46:23AM -0800, Tony Cuevas wrote:

> I just subscribed a few days ago and no one has reponded to my post. Are
> posts archived somewhere where I can read through them? Is this a
> problem that is not easily addressed? Have I left something out?
> Thanks,

Sorry I can't help with your problem, but there's an archive here that's
searchable:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=apache-httpd-users

Good luck :P

--