Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Costin Caraivan <cc...@axway.com> on 2008/11/20 17:03:08 UTC

Versioning builds

Hello.

I'm trying to build a lot of Eclipse plugins with Maven. I've finished the
hardest part (I hope :) ), and now I'm trying to version the builds. That
is, I want the output of the build process to be a zip named something like
this:

com.whatever.me_2.2.2.YYYYMMDDHHmm.zip, where 2.2.2 is a relatively static
version, but YYYYMMDDHHmm is obviously the timestamp of the build (and it's
not static at all :) ).

Thing is, I can't figure out how to do this. Any ideas? (Can I give Maven
project.version numbers as command line parameters?)

Later on I have to automate this with Continuum, so if anyone knows how to
pass the timestamp from Continuum, be my guest :)

Regards,
Costin.

Re: Versioning builds

Posted by Costin Caraivan <cc...@axway.com>.
Thank you for the information.

I will try to get more information about the current versioning system, to
see why it needs to be this way, maybe I can adjust the project instead of
Maven's versioning :)

Re: Versioning builds

Posted by Martin Höller <ma...@xss.co.at>.

Re: Versioning builds

Posted by Costin Caraivan <cc...@axway.com>.
If I go one step further and want to install/deploy the build with this build
number as a version... What do I do? :)

Right now, when I install, the artifact is uploaded with the version, not
the finalName.

So artifact-1.0.0-YYYYMMDDHHmm.zip becomes artifact-1.0.0.zip :)

Any ideas? (basically I want to change the version from the build launcher
(Continuum). Should I launch some sort of ant script which runs the Maven
project with a changed version? (sounds ok? :) ).

Thanks,
Costin.

Re: Versioning builds

Posted by Tomasz Pik <to...@gmail.com>.

Re: Versioning builds

Posted by Mick Knutson <mk...@baselogic.com>.
Look at the buildnumber plugin.

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 11:03 AM, Costin Caraivan <cc...@axway.com>wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I'm trying to build a lot of Eclipse plugins with Maven. I've finished the
> hardest part (I hope :) ), and now I'm trying to version the builds. That
> is, I want the output of the build process to be a zip named something like
> this:
>
> com.whatever.me_2.2.2.YYYYMMDDHHmm.zip, where 2.2.2 is a relatively static
> version, but YYYYMMDDHHmm is obviously the timestamp of the build (and it's
> not static at all :) ).
>
> Thing is, I can't figure out how to do this. Any ideas? (Can I give Maven
> project.version numbers as command line parameters?)
>
> Later on I have to automate this with Continuum, so if anyone knows how to
> pass the timestamp from Continuum, be my guest :)
>
> Regards,
> Costin.

Thank You…

Mick Knutson
BASE Logic, inc.
(415) 685-4233

Website: http://baselogic.com
Blog: http://baselogic.com/blog
BLiNC Magazine: http://blincmagazine.com
DJ Mick: http://djmick.com
MySpace: http://myspace.com/mickknutson

coming soon: (866-BLiNC-411: (254-6241-1)
---