Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Jared Laprise <ja...@webonyx.com> on 2011/03/25 01:49:23 UTC

URGENT HELP PLEASE!

Hello all, I'm running 2 Cassandra 6.5 nodes and I brought down the secondary node and restarted the primary node. After Cassandra came back up all data has been reverted to several months ago.

I could really use some incite here, this is a production website and I need to act quickly. I have a cron job that takes a snapshot every night, but even with that I tried to restore a snapshot on my local development environment and it was also missing a ton of data.

Any help will be so appreciated.

Re: URGENT HELP PLEASE!

Posted by Peter Schuller <pe...@infidyne.com>.
> What happened is this:
> You started your cluster with only one node, so at first, all data was on this.
> Then you added a second node. Cassandra then moved (approximatively)
> half of the data to the second node. In theory, at that
> point the data that was moved to the second node could be removed from
> the first node (since you had RF=1). However, Cassandra
> don't do that removing part automatically for safety reasons. You'll
> have to run cleanup on the first node for that to happen.
> So there was stale data on the first node, that never got updated
> because the first node was not responsible anymore for that data.

But this doesn't explain why he was able to read the stale data? Or
did I miss something about actually having removed the second node
from the ring after it was shut off?

--
/ Peter Schuller

Re: URGENT HELP PLEASE!

Posted by Sylvain Lebresne <sy...@datastax.com>.
> Although after all the help from the Cassandra community I have a much better understanding of why and how my situation happened, there was still one strange side effect I noticed. For context, I store user accounts and other account information in Cassandra. When the second node was offline and I tried to log into the site, I got an error saying invalid password. Out of curiosity I logged into the cassandra-cli tool and looked at what columns and values were present for my user account. My User CF seemed to have data stored from right before I added the second node. I found that really strange assuming that Cassandra doesn't keep any historical or versioned data? Again, once the second node was back online both servers showed the expected more current data.

What happened is this:
You started your cluster with only one node, so at first, all data was on this.
Then you added a second node. Cassandra then moved (approximatively)
half of the data to the second node. In theory, at that
point the data that was moved to the second node could be removed from
the first node (since you had RF=1). However, Cassandra
don't do that removing part automatically for safety reasons. You'll
have to run cleanup on the first node for that to happen.
So there was stale data on the first node, that never got updated
because the first node was not responsible anymore for that data.
It was garbage that just didn't get removed. What you should have done
is run nodetool cleanup on the first node after having bootstrapped
the second one and checked everything was fine.

Re: URGENT HELP PLEASE!

Posted by Watanabe Maki <wa...@gmail.com>.
With RF=2 & CL=ONE, take care on that you still have chance to read old data which is not replicated yet.

Maki

From iPhone

RE: URGENT HELP PLEASE!

Re: URGENT HELP PLEASE!

Posted by Sylvain Lebresne <sy...@datastax.com>.

Re: URGENT HELP PLEASE!

Posted by Brandon Williams <dr...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 11:58 PM, Jared Laprise <ja...@webonyx.com> wrote:

> My replication factor is 1

Then you are living dangerously.

> I haven't run repair until today, I'm using ONE for consistency level.

Repair at rf=1 won't do anything.

I have two servers that are load balanced (per session) which both run
> Cassandra and each server connects to Cassandra on localhost.
>
> Based on what you're saying, and being I'm using session (cookie) based
> load balancing it would be true that data is rarely read or written (per
> user) on a different server, that could be why data isn't replicating.
>
> Again, I'm extremely appreciative of your feedback as I haven't had the
> luxury of delving into all aspects of Cassandra and especially related to
> multi-node deployments. Thanks!

Here is the key point: replication_factor refers to the total replicas
(where replica means 'instance of the data', not 'copy of it'.)  You only
have one, which is why half your data disappeared when a node was down.  I
would go to 2 and then run repair (see
http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/FAQ#change_replication) so you have
redundancy.

-Brandon

Re: URGENT HELP PLEASE!

Posted by Peter Schuller <pe...@infidyne.com>.
> Based on what you're saying, and being I'm using session (cookie) based load balancing it would be true that data is rarely read or written (per user) on a different server, that could be why data isn't replicating.

You've probably discovered this already but just in case, and for
others finding this ML thread: The placement of data is controlled by
your replication strategy and ring layout. Placement is not affected
by which node you happen to talk to when doing your writes or reads.
The node you talk to - the co-ordinating node - is responsible for
routing requests appropriately, and it won't e.g. store data from a
write if doesn't happen to also be part of the replica set by
co-incidence.

(For those that react: CL.ANY and hinted hand-off kind of violates
this claim as phrased, but not the spirit of it since with CL.ANY
you're making a conscious decision to complete writes prior to any
node in the replica set receiving the data, and you won't be reading
the data until it does end up in the right location.)

--
/ Peter Schuller

RE: URGENT HELP PLEASE!

Posted by Benjamin Coverston <be...@datastax.com>.
Hi Jared,

Sounds like you have two nodes in the cluster. What is your replication
factor set to? 1? 2?

Have you ever run repair? What consistency level do you use for reads
and writes?

 From the way you are speaking it sounds like you are sending all of
your traffic to a single node (primary, secondary).

RE: URGENT HELP PLEASE!

Posted by Jared Laprise <ja...@webonyx.com>.
Correct, replication factor of 1.

I've been reading and researching as fast as possible so I'm also starting to realize what some of the configurations actually mean and getting a clearer picture. My request to the Cassandra community was a desperate, "Oh man! I F'd up!" moment, and didn't have the time to Google it myself :-)

Each row is replicated to replication_factor nodes, not the entire cluster (or you couldn't scale writes by adding machines).

Sounds like you're running with RF=1.

Re: URGENT HELP PLEASE!

Posted by Jonathan Ellis <jb...@gmail.com>.

RE: URGENT HELP PLEASE!