Posted to dev@arrow.apache.org by John Muehlhausen <jg...@jgm.org> on 2019/10/03 22:18:50 UTC

uncertain about JIRA issue granularity

I need to create two (or more) issues for
  custom_metadata in Footer ...
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/c3b3d1456b7062a435f6795c0308ccb7c8fe55c818cfed2cf55f76c5@%3Cdev.arrow.apache.org%3E

and
  memory map based on fd ...
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/83373ab00f552ee8afd2bac2b2721468b3f28fe283490e379998453a@%3Cdev.arrow.apache.org%3E

For the first one, is this five separate JIRA issues?
- [Format] add a custom_metadata:[KeyValue] field to the Footer table in
File.fbs
- [C++] access File Footer custom_metadata
- [Python] access File Footer custom_metadata
- [JS] access File Footer custom_metadata
- [Java] access File Footer custom_metadata

For the second, is it four? (One per language?)
- [C++] retrieve fd of open memory mapped file and Open() memory mapped
file by fd
- [Python] retrieve fd of open memory mapped file and Open() memory mapped
file by fd
- [JS] retrieve fd of open memory mapped file and Open() memory mapped file
by fd
- [Java] retrieve fd of open memory mapped file and Open() memory mapped
file by fd

(I will also work on ARROW-5916 if I can carve out the time)

Re: uncertain about JIRA issue granularity

Posted by Micah Kornfield <em...@gmail.com>.
Hi John,
It depends on what the change encompasses.  If it affects the format then
it would be nice to have tracking bugs in all languages to implement the
feature (i.e. adding data to the footer).

If it is an implementation specific feature then only the target languages
need to be implemented (i.e. file descriptors).

Thanks,
Micah

Posted by John Muehlhausen <jg...@jgm.org>.

Posted by Antoine Pitrou <an...@python.org>.