Posted to dev@xalan.apache.org by R_KNOWLES <Ri...@reuters.com> on 2000/07/27 20:05:37 UTC

shift-jis, Unsupported character encoding!

Hi,

Im using Xalan to transform some XML documents into another XML grammer, and to
change the character encoding from the local encoding to utf-8.

This works fine with some of the input encodings I get, but not with shift-jis
(Japanese) or ks_c_5601 (Korean). I am using the default Parser for Xalan
(Xerces 1.1.2), and JDK 1.1.2.

With both of these encodings I get a SAX Parser fatal error saying that the
encoding is not supported. However, looking at the Xerces FAQ it says that
shift-jis IS supported. So why do I get this message?

Is it because shift-jis was not supported in v1.1.2 of Xerces, or do I have to
do something special to enable these conversions?

I really dont want to have to write a pre/post processor to perform the
character conversions, so does anyone have any ideas?

Can you reply to my email address as well as this list.

Thanks
Richard.

the views of Reuters Ltd.