Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Ken Gentle <j....@acm.org> on 2003/02/25 16:43:38 UTC

Modifying Task Attribute signatures - Was cvs commit: ...ant/taskdefs/cvslib ChangeLogTask.java

I'm using a revision of the ChangeLogTask that has the patch as originally
submitted working in my installation, so I'm set for a while.  Doesn't
appear that this is a hot button topic for the community, so I think
resolution can wait a while.

When I get a chance to come back to this, I'm strongly leaning towards
leaving the ChangeLogTask as is, and starting off fresh with a new
CvsChangeLogTask, which extends AbstractCvsTask.  This will allow for any
subclassing/delegation of the existing task to run unaffected, and allow
for an approach to the date/time parameters that does not depend on a
deprecatated API.

If this is not an acceptable strategy, I'd like to know why and what would
be the preferred approach.

Thanks for your time and attention.

         Ken

At 10:05 2003-02-26, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
>On Fri, 21 Feb 2003, Ken Gentle <j....@acm.org> wrote:
>
> > The justification for the new parameters is maintaining the
> > interface for any extensions of the ChangeLogTask.  I don't think
> > the class is very amenable to subclassing (all the interesting
> > methods and attributes are private), and continuing to depend on the
> > IntrospectionHelper's use of a deprecated API seems risky.
>
>Not only subclassing but delegation as well.
>
>We once changed Available's setFile method to take a String argument
>instead of a File argument.  Gump told us that something inside
>Castor's build (IIRC) created an Available instance and called
>setFile(File) on it.
>
>What we've learned by that is that we can never be sure that nobody
>uses our public API.
>
>I'm rather leaning towards separate attributes and preserving the old
>signatures as well.
>
>Stefan

J. Kenneth Gentle (Ken)    | Phone: (610) 255-0361
Gentle Software, LLC       | Email: j.kenneth.gentle@acm.org

Re: Modifying Task Attribute signatures - Was cvs commit: ...ant/taskdefs/cvslib ChangeLogTask.java

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 25 Feb 2003, Ken Gentle <j....@acm.org> wrote:

> When I get a chance to come back to this, I'm strongly leaning
> towards leaving the ChangeLogTask as is, and starting off fresh with
> a new CvsChangeLogTask, which extends AbstractCvsTask.

Sounds perfect.

Stefan