Posted to dev@tapestry.apache.org by Apache Wiki <wi...@apache.org> on 2008/03/19 16:26:18 UTC

[Tapestry Wiki] Update of "FrameworkComparisons" by DanielJue

Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Tapestry Wiki" for change notification.

The following page has been changed by DanielJue:
http://wiki.apache.org/tapestry/FrameworkComparisons

New page:
Some of this information can be found elsewhere in the Tapestry documentation.

= Reasons for using Tapestry =
A colleague of mine recently reminded me that in order to '''''really''''' know you want to use something, you have to know when not to use it.

== When to use Tapestry ==
 * If you have a one or more designers (the artsy-people) who like to modify HTML documents instead of things like JSPs.
 * If you don't like dealing with XML configuration (Tapestry 5)

== When not to use Tapestry ==
 * If you are stuck on Java 1.4 or are otherwise forbidden from using annotations and Java 1.5 features.
 * If you require out-of-the-box Portlet support (check for updates, or re-word this, may be available in T4/T5)
 * If you are afraid or forbidden to learn new technology/frameworks/patterns (IOC, Maven, etc)
 * If you are not allowed to use Maven. (Currently used by T5 for gathering library dependencies, although not specifically required)

== Challenges faced by Tapestry newcomers ==
Some of these are addressed elsewhere in the Tapestry documentation.
 * Static Structure, Dynamic Behavior.  This is not as limiting as it may seem, and the benefits are worth it.  Usually this issue comes up when users want hot-pluggable components, like what you can get using a PHP based Content Management System.  In almost all cases, the user just needs to apply some creative thinking in order to accomplish the goal, while still using a static structure.  It may also require you to redefine your notion of "structure" and "behavior" depending on which frameworks you have used previously.

= Comparisons to previous versions of Tapestry =
This is addressed elsewhere, and it was done so early on because it is a hot topic.  Tapestry tends to make use of new technology as the years pass, and many times that has resulted in major change.  Granted, this usually happened on Major revision changes, so some incompatibility is to be expected as with any framework.  Tapestry 5 (T5) was designed so that any future changes would have less of an impact.

= Quick Comparisons to Other Frameworks =

 * Tapestry And Struts
  * See TapestryFasttrackForStrutsProgrammers

 * Tapestry And Wicket
  * See author Kent Tong's blog post "My Thoughts On The Differences" [http://agileskills2.org/blog/2007/09/my_thoughts_on_the_differences.html]
  * placeholder

 * Tapestry And JSF
  * placeholder

 * Tapestry And Flex
  * placeholder

 * Tapestry And GWT (Google Web Toolkit)
  * placeholder

Re: [Tapestry Wiki] Update of "FrameworkComparisons" by DanielJue

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
Pretty nice writeup; I hope others can fill in the details.

On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 8:26 AM, Apache Wiki <wi...@apache.org> wrote:
> Dear Wiki user,
>
>  You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Tapestry Wiki" for change notification.
>
>  The following page has been changed by DanielJue:
>  http://wiki.apache.org/tapestry/FrameworkComparisons
>
>  New page:
>  Some of this information can be found elsewhere in the Tapestry documentation.
>

>  = Reasons for using Tapestry =
>  A colleague of mine recently reminded me that in order to '''''really''''' know you want to use something, you have to know when not to use it.
>
>  == When to use Tapestry ==
>   * If you have a one or more designers (the artsy-people) who like to modify HTML documents instead of things like JSPs.
>   * If you don't like dealing with XML configuration (Tapestry 5)
>

>  == When not to use Tapestry ==
>   * If you are stuck on Java 1.4 or are otherwise forbidden from using annotations and Java 1.5 features.
>   * If you require out-of-the-box Portlet support (check for updates, or re-word this, may be available in T4/T5)
>   * If you are afraid or forbidden to learn new technology/frameworks/patterns (IOC, Maven, etc)
>   * If you are not allowed to use Maven. (Currently used by T5 for gathering library dependencies, although not specifically required)
>
>  == Challenges faced by Tapestry newcomers ==
>  Some of these are addressed elsewhere in the Tapestry documentation.
>   * Static Structure, Dynamic Behavior.  This is not as limiting as it may seem, and the benefits are worth it.  Usually this issue comes up when users want hot-pluggable components, like what you can get using a PHP based Content Management System.  In almost all cases, the user just needs to apply some creative thinking in order to accomplish the goal, while still using a static structure.  It may also require you to redefine your notion of "structure" and "behavior" depending on which frameworks you have used previously.
>
>  = Comparisons to previous versions of Tapestry =
>  This is addressed elsewhere, and it was done so early on because it is a hot topic.  Tapestry tends to make use of new technology as the years pass, and many times that has resulted in major change.  Granted, this usually happened on Major revision changes, so some incompatibility is to be expected as with any framework.  Tapestry 5 (T5) was designed so that any future changes would have less of an impact.
>

>  = Quick Comparisons to Other Frameworks =
>
>   * Tapestry And Struts
>   * See TapestryFasttrackForStrutsProgrammers
>
>   * Tapestry And Wicket
>   * See author Kent Tong's blog post "My Thoughts On The Differences" [http://agileskills2.org/blog/2007/09/my_thoughts_on_the_differences.html]
>   * placeholder
>
>   * Tapestry And JSF