Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Mark Bramer <MB...@esri.com> on 2015/03/26 23:57:45 UTC

i'm a newb: questions about schema.xml

Hello,

I'm a Solr newb.  I've been poking around for several days on my own test instance, and also online at the info available.  But one thing just isn't jiving and I can't put my finger on why.  I've searched many many times but I don't see what I'm looking for, so I'm thinking perhaps I have a fundamental semantic misunderstanding of something somewhere.  Everywhere I read, everyone talks about schema.xml and how important is.  I fully get what it's for but I don't get where it is, how it's used (by me), how I edit it, and how I create new indexes once I've edited it.

I've installed, and am successfully running, solr 5.0.0 on Linux.  I've followed the widely recommended-by-all quick start at: http://lucene.apache.org/solr/quickstart.html.  I get through it fine, I post a bunch of stuff, I use the web UI to query for, and see, data I would expect to see.  Should I now have a schema.xml file somewhere that is somehow connected to my new index?  If so, where is it?  Was it present from install or did it get created when I made my first core (bin/solr create -c ati_docs)?

[root@machine solr-5.0.0]# find -name schema.xml
./example/example-DIH/solr/tika/conf/schema.xml
./example/example-DIH/solr/rss/conf/schema.xml
./example/example-DIH/solr/solr/conf/schema.xml
./example/example-DIH/solr/db/conf/schema.xml
./example/example-DIH/solr/mail/conf/schema.xml
./server/solr/configsets/basic_configs/conf/schema.xml
./server/solr/configsets/sample_techproducts_configs/conf/schema.xml
[root@machine solr-5.0.0]#

Is it the one in /configsets/basic_configs/conf?  Is that the "default" one?

If I want to 'modify' schema.xml to do some different indexing/analyzing, how do I start?  Make a copy of that schema.xml, move it somewhere else and modify it?  If so, how do I create a new index using this schema.xml?

Or am I running in "schemaless" mode?  I don't think I am because it appears that I would have to specifically state this as a command line parameter, i.e. bin/solr start -e schemaless

What fundamentals am I missing?  I'm coming to Solr from Elasticsearch, and I've already recognized some differences.  Is my ES background clouding my grasp of Solr fundamentals?

Thanks for any help.

Mark Bramer | Technical Team Lead, DC Services
Esri | 8615 Westwood Center Dr | Vienna, VA 22182 | USA
T 703 506 9515 x8017 | mbramer@esri.com<ma...@esri.com> | esri.com

Re: i'm a newb: questions about schema.xml

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
This is key: managed-schema

You've managed to get things started with the "managed schema".
Therefore, you need to use the REST API to
add/subtract/multiply/divide. This is different than "schemaless",
although it _is_ related. And they're both different than having a
schema.xml to edit.

Or start over _without_ a managed schema, not quite sure how you
started that way in the first place ;). You may have used bin/solr
start -e schemaless.... when you started and maybe forgot?

Here's a place to start:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/solr/Managed+Schema+Definition+in+SolrConfig

Best,
Erick

Posted by Zheng Lin Edwin Yeo <ed...@gmail.com>.
Yes, this is the correct page which will tell you more about this
"managed-schema" thing in Solr 5.0.0. I got stuck in this for quite a while
previously too.

Regards,
Edwin

Posted by Mark Bramer <MB...@esri.com>.