Posted to users@servicemix.apache.org by kj1003 <ko...@lmco.com> on 2006/04/18 13:50:23 UTC

ServiceMix & ActiveMQ

Hi,

Is it possible to run ServiceMix with ActiveMQ running remotely? If all the
services are co-located do we need ActiveMQ at all?

Are there any documentation on how this whole thing works (giving some
details)?

Thanks.
Sent from the ServiceMix - User forum at Nabble.com.

Re: ServiceMix & ActiveMQ

Posted by kj1003 <ko...@lmco.com>.
Thanks for the quick reply. I guess we are trying to architect the solution
such that if need be we can replace MQ layer with some other JMS provider.
In that case we do not want JMS server to be running on all systems. We just
want only few system to be servers and rest to just be JMS clients.
Sent from the ServiceMix - User forum at Nabble.com.

Re: ServiceMix & ActiveMQ

Posted by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>.
On 4/18/06, kj1003 <ko...@lmco.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to run ServiceMix with ActiveMQ running remotely? If all the
> services are co-located do we need ActiveMQ at all?
>
> Are there any documentation on how this whole thing works (giving some
> details)?

ServiceMix must run an ActiveMQ instance locally. This local instnce
of ActiveMQ is usually started from the XBean config and can easily be
connected to a remote instance of ActiveMQ using the peer:// or
multicast:// protocols.

Does this help your situation?

Bruce
);'

Apache ActiveMQ - http://incubator.apache.org/activemq/
Apache ServiceMix - http://incubator.apache.org/servicemix/
Castor - http://castor.org/

Re: ServiceMix & ActiveMQ

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
On 4/18/06, kj1003 <ko...@lmco.com> wrote:

> Thanks for such quick replies. So it sounds like ServiceMix will need to be
> connected to a JMS provider (remote or local) to be operational. Is that
> correct?

Yes, If you don't care about reliability, recovery, clustering or XA
you can just use the pure in-JVM flow (SEDAFlow) instead.

> Is it possible to run workflows in a ServiceMix container (no XA)
> if the connectivity with JMS Server(remote) is broken?

As above; you can just disable persistence & reliabiliy if you want;
or you can embed an ActiveMQ broker inside the JVM of the ServiceMix
container then there is no chance of the remote server being
unavailable; then you can store-and-forward from the local broker to a
remote broker if needed (to survive network issues while keeping on
trucking).

--

James
-------

Re: ServiceMix & ActiveMQ

Posted by kj1003 <ko...@lmco.com>.
Thanks for such quick replies. So it sounds like ServiceMix will need to be
connected to a JMS provider (remote or local) to be operational. Is that
correct? Is it possible to run workflows in a ServiceMix container (no XA)

Re: ServiceMix & ActiveMQ

Posted by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>.
On 4/18/06, James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/18/06, kj1003 <ko...@lmco.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Is it possible to run ServiceMix with ActiveMQ running remotely?
>
> Absolutely, where the ActiveMQ broker runs is completely up to you.

Oh you're right. I forgot that ServiceMix can be told to use any
ActiveMQ instance anywhere. My mistake ;-).

Bruce
);'

Re: ServiceMix & ActiveMQ

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
On 4/18/06, kj1003 <ko...@lmco.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to run ServiceMix with ActiveMQ running remotely?

Absolutely, where the ActiveMQ broker runs is completely up to you.

>  If all the
> services are co-located do we need ActiveMQ at all?

We currently use ActiveMQ to provide persistence & XA and to allow
operations to be asynchronous and reliable.

> Are there any documentation on how this whole thing works (giving some
> details)?

Everything we have is on the wiki/site.

--

James