Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Norman Barker <no...@comsine.co.uk> on 2004/07/14 18:14:53 UTC

OGC WMS + WFS Geographic Generators

Hi,

after my posting a couple of weeks back, it seems I will have to write
the Web Map Server and Web Feature
Server Generators :-) , should be quite a nice challenge.

I guess it would be best to make these as generic as possible for future
use.

The OGC specs allow either HTTP Key Value Pair requests, or XML posted
to the WFS and WMS servers (see
http://www.opengis.org).

The basic flow is
1) User requests a capabilities XML document from the WFS or WMS
2) User makes a request to the WFS or WMS and the results is returned
     which is either GML (xml)  (in the case of the WFS), or an image
in the case of a WMS

I guess we will want the generator to start the pipeline as a middle
stage on the return from the WFS or WMS to the user,
so that this data can be styled to SVG, or  html, or in my case a
different version of XML for the user.

Am I correct to think that the best way to do this would be just to
write a class that extends AbstractGenerator?

Any ideas on this, how to make it generic for use by everyone, how to
handle the many possible requests that could
be made through the capabilities XML returned by the WFS and WMS, and
how to handle exceptions from the
WMS and WFS would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Norman Barker

--
Norman Barker
Software Engineer

Re: OGC WMS + WFS Geographic Generators

Posted by Luca Morandini <lu...@tin.it>.
Norman Barker wrote:
> Hi,
>
> after my posting a couple of weeks back, it seems I will have to write
> the Web Map Server and Web Feature
> Server Generators :-) , should be quite a nice challenge.

I'm sorry, but I failed to notice your first post. Yes, Geoid has been
quiet for a long time: unfortunately I hadn't the opportunity to work on
something useful for that project as I intended.

Anyway, the infrastructure is there, so, you might consider joining the
project.... I won't object :)

> I guess it would be best to make these as generic as possible for future
> use.
> The OGC specs allow either HTTP Key Value Pair requests, or XML posted
> to the WFS and WMS servers (see
> http://www.opengis.org).
>
> The basic flow is
> 1) User requests a capabilities XML document from the WFS or WMS
> 2) User makes a request to the WFS or WMS and the results is returned
>     which is either GML (xml)  (in the case of the WFS), or an image  in
> the case of a WMS

I think Cocoon may come in handy when WFS is used: to style it with SLD,
to manipulate it with XSL, to translate into SVG, to translate SVG into
  images (see Batik)... but when it comes to WMS I have the feeling that
the capabilities of Cocoon are sort of an overkill.
As a case in point, I've used MapServer (acting as WMS server) with
Cocoon, and it was just the matter of calling the MapServer's CGI and
passing request parameters: I didn't need a generator for that.

> I guess we will want the generator to start the pipeline as a middle
> stage on the return from the WFS or WMS to the user,
> so that this data can be styled to SVG, or  html, or in my case a
> different version of XML for the user.

Have you considered using SLD for WFS styling ?

Re: OGC WMS + WFS Geographic Generators

Posted by Jorg Heymans <jh...@domek.be>.

> I mean, since Jorg Heymans seems to be willing to contribute, and I'm
> looking forward to a relatively quiet August (don't know about David
> Crossley's schedule though), we may collectively design a solution under
> the Geoid umbrella.
I would be willing to chip in here and there yes Luca - are you a
mind-reader ;) ?

> Hmmm... maybe a SLDTransformer to, say, SVG could be in the cards as well.
you really are a mindreader :)

Jorg

Re: OGC WMS + WFS Geographic Generators

Posted by Luca Morandini <lu...@tin.it>.
Norman Barker wrote:

> I am open to any design ideas, collaboration efforts for Geoid.
>
> I guess we can keep using the mailing list, or are we suppposed to take
> this to private email?

Well, Geoid has (thanks to the folks at CocoonDev) its own mailing list:
may you subscribe to it ?

Jorg, what about you ?

Re: OGC WMS + WFS Geographic Generators

Posted by Jorg Heymans <jh...@domek.be>.
<snip/>

> my plan at the moment was to hack a solution to see the WFS query from
> the user go through Cocoon and
> back again as just plain XML to get an idea of how it works.  I have had
> a look at Geotools and I will definitely
> be using part of that :-)
I have written a few generators, i might do a quick proof of concept
today to see just how things fit together. If you need help where to
start just shout.

> I am open to any design ideas, collaboration efforts for Geoid.
>
> I guess we can keep using the mailing list, or are we suppposed to take
> this to private email?
Why don't we use the geoid-dev
(http://geoid.cocoondev.org/mail-lists.html) mailing list?

I already joined :)

Jorg

Re: OGC WMS + WFS Geographic Generators

Posted by Norman Barker <no...@comsine.co.uk>.
Luca Morandini wrote:

> Norman Barker wrote:
>
>> Luca Morandini wrote:
>>
>> I will get Geoid from CVS, and contribute to that (I might need some
>> help making my code suitable for the
>> pedigree of an Apache project though :-) ).
>

> Do you mind terribly a bit of co-ordination ?
>
> I mean, since Jorg Heymans seems to be willing to contribute, and I'm
> looking forward to a relatively quiet August (don't know about David
> Crossley's schedule though), we may collectively design a solution
> under the Geoid umbrella.
>

>> Again if anyone wants to help me, then give me a mail.  I think the
>> WFS generator should be very quick to do.
>

> Hmmm... maybe a SLDTransformer to, say, SVG could be in the cards as
> well.

Sounds good to me,

my plan at the moment was to hack a solution to see the WFS query from
the user go through Cocoon and
back again as just plain XML to get an idea of how it works.  I have had
a look at Geotools and I will definitely
be using part of that :-)

I am open to any design ideas, collaboration efforts for Geoid.

I guess we can keep using the mailing list, or are we suppposed to take
this to private email?

thanks,

Norman

Posted by Luca Morandini <lu...@tin.it>.

Posted by Norman Barker <no...@comsine.co.uk>.
Luca Morandini wrote:

> Jorg Heymans wrote:
>

>> PS yes extending abstractgenerator seems like the thing to do. But
>> have a look at geoid first, maybe they have added a more GIS like
>> abstraction to the generator. ( a generic GISGenerator base class
>> would indeed be nice)
>

> Non need to look: we didn't build a GISGemerator ;)
>
> We've used a Transformer for the current connector with ArcIMS because
> it uses XML as input for both contents AND style parameters (sort of
> SLD and WMS rolled into one XML document), and outputs an XML fragment
> with features or/and URI to raster map... with WMS/WFS a generator may
> be more suitable though.
>
> Saluti,

Thanks for all the help,

I will get Geoid from CVS, and contribute to that (I might need some
help making my code suitable for the
pedigree of an Apache project though :-) ).

I agree that using SLDs for the WFS makes sense.

The comment on the WMS not being too much use, I was thinking of
extending Cocoon ImageReader class
to reduce the image, extract bytes etc (some clients require a byte
stream within two XML tags).

Posted by Luca Morandini <lu...@tin.it>.

Posted by Jorg Heymans <jh...@domek.be>.

Norman Barker wrote:

> Hi,
>
> after my posting a couple of weeks back, it seems I will have to write
> the Web Map Server and Web Feature
> Server Generators :-) , should be quite a nice challenge.
Couldn't find your posting sorry - please repost.

> I guess it would be best to make these as generic as possible for future
> use.
> The OGC specs allow either HTTP Key Value Pair requests, or XML posted
> to the WFS and WMS servers (see
> http://www.opengis.org).

<snip/>

I am currently doing a GIS project as well and am looking on how to
leverage cocoon in this. GeoServer looks quite promising for our needs
as a WFS, combined with a cocoon front-end for caching and styling it
could become a powerful combo. I guess you also had a look at
geotools.org, they already have a great set of connectors that could be
easily integrated into a cocoon generator.

I will have a look at the GEOID project as suggested here, although it
seems quite "dead" there might be a way of reviving it :)

Do you have a need for a web frontend as well in your project? There is
ofcourse JUMP and OpenMap. The UDig (udig.refractions.net) project
(geotools spinoff) aims to be a universal front-end to all GIS sources,
still in its inception phase though.

Kind Regards
Jorg Heymans