Posted to user@ignite.apache.org by Ryan Ripken <ry...@rmanet.com> on 2017/04/10 23:07:00 UTC

Re: Concurrent job execution and FifoQueueCollisionSpi.parallelJobsNumber=1

The issue seemed weird to me as well. It was not reproducible and so I
just assumed that something must have gone wrong with the installation.

I had this issue occur in January and it just happened again over the
weekend.   This was using Ignite 1.5.0.final.

I've verified that all the nodes are configured using
FifoQueueCollisionSpi with parallelJobsNumber = 1.

The nodes which execute the jobs are configured via xml:
    ... <property name="collisionSpi">
             <bean
class="org.apache.ignite.spi.collision.fifoqueue.FifoQueueCollisionSpi">
                 <property name="parallelJobsNumber" value="1"/>
             </bean>
         </property> ...

Based on your previous response I believe the collisionSPI on the node
submitting the task does not matter.  Just in case that node also has
the SPI configured:
             IgniteConfiguration igniteConfig = new IgniteConfiguration();
             igniteConfig.setMarshaller(new OptimizedMarshaller());
             igniteConfig.setMetricsLogFrequency(3600000);
             FifoQueueCollisionSpi colSpi = new FifoQueueCollisionSpi();
             colSpi.setParallelJobsNumber(1);
             igniteConfig.setCollisionSpi(colSpi);

On the previous occurrence of this bug I added this code to the job
execution:
         CollisionSpi collisionSpi = grid.configuration().getCollisionSpi();
         if (collisionSpi instanceof FifoQueueCollisionSpi) {
             FifoQueueCollisionSpi fifo = (FifoQueueCollisionSpi)
collisionSpi;
             int parallelJobsNumber = fifo.getParallelJobsNumber();
             _logger.info("FifoQueueCollisionSpi used with
parallelJobsNumber:" + parallelJobsNumber);
         } else {
             _logger.info("CollisionSpi is not FifoQueueCollisionSpi
but:" + collisionSpi.getClass().getSimpleName());
         }

And in the logs I see:
FifoQueueCollisionSpi used with parallelJobsNumber:1

However I also see three jobs starting on the same node.   The jobs can
take minutes to hours to complete and unfortunately the jobs have to
interact with a gui application.  When multiple jobs are executed at the
same time there are race conditions related to which workspace the gui
application has open.  Also during the job execution the gui application
computes some values.  If multiple computes are done at the same time
the results get mixed up.

Are there known issues with FifoQueueCollisionSpi?  Are there any
workarounds?
I'm considering adding an atomicinteger counter check in the job
execution code.  Do you have any suggestions?  I was thinking that if I
had failover setup it should be safe to fail any jobs that attempt to
start concurrently.

Lastly, thanks for the hard work on Ignite (and GridGain!).

-Ryan

Posted by Ryan Ripken <ry...@rmanet.com>.
Okay, thanks for looking into it.

In the meantime I've started using a TaskContinuousMapperResource and
making subgrid.size() jobs available initially and then feeding out an
additional job in each result() call.
It was actually surprisingly easy to change the Task implementation.  I
love that the Ignite interfaces are so clean!
The users like that jobs are now being completed in-order.
So far it isn't crashing.  Since making the change I've noticed that
several of the compute nodes have become idle for 2-3 hour periods
during the compute.  Perhaps I've got an off-by-one error in my job
feeding logic.  That part of the code is dead-simple so I don't see how
it could be off but I'm going to add more logging to track down when the
mapper makes each job available vs when each node starts working on the job.

I'd still prefer using the parallelJobsNumber setting.

Thanks again,
Ryan

Posted by Ryan Ripken <ry...@rmanet.com>.
Please let me know if I can help in any way.

Posted by vkulichenko <va...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ryan,

Posted by vkulichenko <va...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ryan,

Yes, I think. But note that will create a high contention on this method -
each job request will acquire the same lock. Although, it's probably not an
issue in your case as you do not allow to execute more than one job at a
time anyway.

-Val

Re: Concurrent job execution and FifoQueueCollisionSpi.parallelJobsNumber=1

Posted by Ryan Ripken <ry...@rmanet.com>.
I use IgniteMessaging to update status info from inside my compute jobs
so publicThreadPoolSize=1 probably isn't going to work.

In your opinion, would a new CollisionSpi implementation that
synchronized the onCollision method resolve the issue?

Posted by vkulichenko <va...@gmail.com>.
Ryan,

Posted by ryan <ry...@rmanet.com>.
Interesting.  I'll have to give that a try.  The documentation for
PublicThreadPoolSize explains that the executor service will be in
charge of processing GridJobs and user messages set to the node.

What are examples of user messages?  Would that include usages of
IgniteMessaging such as the following?

             IgnitePredicate<ClusterNode> nodeForNodeId =
GridFunc.nodeForNodeId(taskNodeId);
             IgniteMessaging rmtMsg =
grid.message(grid.cluster().forPredicate(nodeForNodeId));
             rmtMsg.send(FrmComputeTask.LOGGING_TOPIC, msg2);

Posted by vkulichenko <va...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ryan,

I will take a look this week.

-Val

Re: Concurrent job execution and FifoQueueCollisionSpi.parallelJobsNumber=1

Posted by Ryan Ripken <ry...@rmanet.com>.
Has anyone gotten a chance to look at issue IGNITE-5183 ?

I had an (I think) unrelated compute failure today and was reminded that
I'm still using my own hacked together work-around.

FifoQueueCollisionSpi only has a handful of config options and
parallelJobsNumber is the only one that is demo'd in the documentation.
The documentation states:  "Execute all jobs sequentially by setting
parallel job number to 1."   I believe my example shows that the
implementation has a bug and that jobs are not always executed
sequentially.

Is this the wrong place for bug reports?  Should I raise this issue on
the dev list?

Posted by ryan <ry...@rmanet.com>.

Posted by Ryan Ripken <ry...@rmanet.com>.

Posted by Ryan Ripken <ry...@rmanet.com>.