Posted to users@flex.apache.org by mo...@comcast.net on 2013/10/30 16:14:30 UTC

is renaming app filename best way to ensure update on client?

Newbie question... after making my first app live on the server, I noticed updates to this app of course don't make it onto the client if the client has accessed the app in the past. As users won't know when updates are made (which require them to refresh their browser cache), is the best strategy to simply rename the application from, say, Main.html, to Main_v1p0.html, before transferring to the server? (Then when making an update, rename again to Main_v1p1.html, for example, etc.). Is that what developers typically do?

Re: is renaming app filename best way to ensure update on client?

Posted by Prem Radhakrishnan <go...@gmail.com>.
If you are using IIS you can also do this by using cache control headers. I
use this method pretty heavily because our application gets updated quite a
bit but sometimes only a few files at a time or one module. The http
content headers allows you to specify cache headers for a file , a folder
or an entire website. I am sure this can be done in our web servers as well
but I am only familiar with IIS.

The users find it really annoying when you have to tell them to clear the
cache all the time to get an update  and this is the least painful and
effective way I have found so far. Here are a couple of reference articles.

http://www.iis.net/configreference/system.webserver/staticcontent/clientcache

http://blog.johlero.eu/2011/09/03/forcing-browsers-to-revalidate-static-content-in-iis-asp-net/

http://www.39dn.com
Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when
there is nothing left to take away.
  - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Posted by mo...@comcast.net.

Posted by Tom Chiverton <tc...@extravision.com>.