Posted to general@gump.apache.org by Eric Pugh <ep...@opensourceconnections.com> on 2004/11/09 15:55:24 UTC

Missing Class for Fulcrum DVSL

Well,

The second to last build issue for Fulcrum concerns Fulcrum DVSL Impl.
Everything builds nicely, but the unit test is failing:

http://brutus.apache.org/gump/public/jakarta-turbine-fulcrum/fulcrum-dvsl-im
pl/gump_work/build_jakarta-turbine-fulcrum_fulcrum-dvsl-impl.html

I have inlined the text of the error.  The issue is something missing on
Jaxen.  However, I have in my Gump descriptor (but not in Maven) a
dependency on Jaxen.

I notice in the jaxen.xml project file there are two different ones.  A
packaged with dom4j and a standalone.  Do I maybe want the packaged with
dom4j?

I went and checked, and org.jaxen.JaxenException is still part of CVS HEAD
for jaxen...

ERic

Re: Missing Class for Fulcrum DVSL

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 10 Nov 2004, Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com> wrote:

> - test honours jar overrides as it uses maven.dependency.classpath
> - Maven does not introduce any jaxen dependencies normally.

Thanks for the clarification

        Stefan

RE: Missing Class for Fulcrum DVSL

Posted by Eric Pugh <ep...@opensourceconnections.com>.
Problem solved!  Thank you Gump for finding a missing dependency!

Posted by Eric Pugh <ep...@opensourceconnections.com>.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 9 Nov 2004, Eric Pugh <ep...@opensourceconnections.com> wrote:

> Not quite sure where this dependency is coming from.  I don't
> believe Maven is introducing for me the Jaxen dependency.  As the
> test runs perfectly without it.  Could it be the version of dom4j
> being used?

Quite possible.

So if you build with Maven you use an older version of dom4j that
doesn't need Jaxen at runtime while dom4j's CVS HEAD does.  Sounds
likely.

Brett, if project.xml doesn't contain any reference to Jaxen but
jaxen.jar happens to be on the system CLASSPATH, will a test run by
Maven see Jaxen?

Stefan

RE: Missing Class for Fulcrum DVSL

Posted by Eric Pugh <ep...@opensourceconnections.com>.

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 9 Nov 2004, Eric Pugh <ep...@opensourceconnections.com> wrote:

> The second to last build issue for Fulcrum concerns Fulcrum DVSL
> Impl.  Everything builds nicely, but the unit test is failing:

I'm not completely certain that Maven's test plugin (is that the
correct term?) honors jar overrides, so I'm not completely sure which
classpath your tests see.

Could you echo out java.class.path inside of your tests to see what is
going on.

> I have inlined the text of the error.  The issue is something
> missing on Jaxen.  However, I have in my Gump descriptor (but not in
> Maven) a dependency on Jaxen.

So how do you compile your code with Maven if you don't specify the
dependency at all?  Is the version of Jaxen used Maven "helping out"?
This scares me more than a bit.

> I notice in the jaxen.xml project file there are two different ones.
> A packaged with dom4j and a standalone.  Do I maybe want the
> packaged with dom4j?

This is in order to break a cyclic dependency between jaxen and
dom4j.  The resulting jars should work the same way, but only "jaxen"
has been compiled against the same dom4j version you use, so you
probably want to use that.

> I went and checked, and org.jaxen.JaxenException is still part of
> CVS HEAD for jaxen...

IIRC it has changed its parent class, though.  Saxpath moved around a
bit.

Stefan