Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Byles Bernard via users <us...@subversion.apache.org> on 2022/12/12 15:17:15 UTC

[UK OFFICIAL] TortoiseSVN (64-bit) - v1.8.0.24401 - Windows Server 2019

Classification: UK OFFICIAL

Hi,

I'm working on a server upgrade program on behalf of a client and one of the servers they have hosts TortoiseSVN (64-bit) - v1.8.0.24401.

The project is to migrate the application from Windows Server 2008 R2 to Windows Server 2019.

I've looked online and I'm unable to find any information on migration steps or whether this old software is even supported on Server 2019.

Please advise.

Regards

Bernard Byles
SCC Technical Consultant
[cid:image001.png@01D028FF.D7301B10]
Sopra Steria (Dstl)
M: +44 (0) 7896821360
E: bbyles@dstl.gov.uk
Building 248
Dstl Porton Down
Salisbury
Wiltshire
SP4 0JQ
United Kingdom
gov.uk/dstl<http://www.gov.uk/dstl>

"This e-mail and any attachment(s) is intended for the recipient only.   Its unauthorised use,
disclosure, storage or copying is not permitted.  Communications with Dstl are monitored and/or
recorded for system efficiency and other lawful purposes, including business intelligence, business
metrics and training.  Any views or opinions expressed in this e-mail do not necessarily reflect Dstl policy."

"If you are not the intended recipient, please remove it from your system and notify the author of
the email and centralenq@dstl.gov.uk"

Re: [UK OFFICIAL] TortoiseSVN (64-bit) - v1.8.0.24401 - Windows Server 2019

Posted by Pavel Lyalyakin via users <us...@subversion.apache.org>.
On Mon, Dec 12, 2022 at 9:29 PM Byles Bernard via users
<us...@subversion.apache.org> wrote:

> Classification: UK OFFICIAL
>
> Hi,
>
> I’m working on a server upgrade program on behalf of a client and one of the servers they have hosts TortoiseSVN (64-bit) - v1.8.0.24401.
>
> The project is to migrate the application from Windows Server 2008 R2 to Windows Server 2019.
>
> I’ve looked online and I’m unable to find any information on migration steps or whether this old software is even supported on Server 2019.

TortoiseSVN is a client application, not a server. So I'm afraid that
it's unclear what you mean by "hosts". Do you use Subversion binaries
packaged with TortoiseSVN to serve Subversion repositories over the
network?

Note that version 1.8.0 was released in 2013, and AFAIK the whole
1.8.x branch had reached end of support before Windows Server 2019 was
released.

It's recommended to upgrade the client to the latest version (it's
1.14.x now). To install or upgrade TortoiseSVN you usually need to
download its installer and run it.

See https://tortoisesvn.net/downloads.html and
https://tortoisesvn.net/faq.html#uninstallfirst.

PS Wrong mailing list. TortoiseSVN has a dedicated mailing list. See
the details at https://tortoisesvn.net/community.html.

--
With best regards,
Pavel Lyalyakin

Re: [UK OFFICIAL] TortoiseSVN (64-bit) - v1.8.0.24401 - Windows Server 2019

Posted by Daniel Sahlberg <da...@gmail.com>.
Den tis 13 dec. 2022 kl 12:05 skrev Byles Bernard via users <
users@subversion.apache.org>:

> Classification: UK OFFICIAL
>

> Hi Pavel,
>
> Thanks for the prompt response. I'll just add some further details.
>
> The customer has a Windows 2008 R2 server. On this server they have
> TortoiseSVN client installed with a specific drive dedicated for their
> repository which I believe can only be accessed from the server itself
> rather than over the network (I'm not 100% sure as unfortunately no one
> really knows much about this app).
>
> If possible, we need to migrate this application to a brand new Windows
> 2019 Server which you have confirmed won't support their existing version
> of TortoiseSVN therefore a brand new client install is required.
>
> Therefore in terms of migration i.e. the data repository. How can this be
> moved from one server to another ? Assume you treat it like a file
> migration or is there specific steps for this.

You can treat this as a basic file migration - you must obviously make sure
no-one accesses the files after you initiate the migration.

In case you have new drive names/paths on the new server, the users may
have to "relocate" their working copies (relocate = connect the working
copy to the new location of the repository). This is done using the "svn
relocate" command or in the context menu of Windows Explorer (in the
working copy folder), TortoiseSVN, Relocate.

Kind regards,
Daniel Sahlberg

Re: [UK OFFICIAL] TortoiseSVN (64-bit) - v1.8.0.24401 - Windows Server 2019

Posted by Pavel Lyalyakin via users <us...@subversion.apache.org>.
On Tue, Dec 13, 2022 at 1:26 PM Byles Bernard <bb...@mail.dstl.gov.uk> wrote:

> Classification: UK OFFICIAL
>

> Hi Pavel,
>
> Thanks for the prompt response. I'll just add some further details.
>
> The customer has a Windows 2008 R2 server. On this server they have TortoiseSVN client installed with a specific drive dedicated for their repository which I believe can only be accessed from the server itself rather than over the network (I'm not 100% sure as unfortunately no one really knows much about this app).

Is the drive dedicated to a working copy or a repository?

A working copy can be identified by the existence of the hidden .svn
directory and a set of working files and directories from the
repository (the actual data stored in the repository for a user to
work with).

Similarly, a repository can be identified by the existence of the
following files and directories in its directory:
[[[
conf/
db/
format
hooks/
locks/
]]]

I'm asking these questions because TortoiseSVN and some other client
distributions have the Subversion binaries packaged with them (usually
in C:\Program Files\TortoiseSVN\bin for TortoiseSVN). The binaries
include the `svnserve.exe`[1] program that can be used to expose the
Subversion repositories over the network using the svn:// or
svn+ssh:// protocols. The binaries such as `svnserve.exe`, and
`svn.exe` are not used by default, but if you have the `svnserve.exe`
running, then additional steps may be required to migrate this custom
solution.

So it's possible that a previous admin used `svnserve.exe` packaged
with TortoiseSVN to implement server capabilities or some other custom
solution. E.g., you may open Task Manager to find out if any
`svnserve` processes are running. If you see any such processes,
additional steps are required to migrate the installation because you
don't only have TortoiseSVN (a client), but also a small server
installation with its own conf files and repositories, perhaps running
as a Windows Service.

If you don't have `svnserve` running and don't have any repositories
on the server (i.e., it has only working copies), then installing
TortoiseSVN 1.14.x on the new computer and checking out new working
copies[2][3] should be enough. You may find the URL used to check out
the working copy with the `svn info <PATH-TO-WORKING-COPY-ROOT>`
command[4] or opening TortoiseSVN Repo Browser[5] at the root of the
working copy.

> If possible, we need to migrate this application to a brand new Windows 2019 Server which you have confirmed won't support their existing version of TortoiseSVN therefore a brand new client install is required.
>
> Therefore in terms of migration i.e. the data repository. How can this be moved from one server to another ? Assume you treat it like a file migration or is there specific steps for this.

The usual approach when you haven't built any scripts around
TortoiseSVN or did not enable `svnserve.exe` is as follows:
1. Install TortoiseSVN on the new computer.
2. Check out a working copy.

I included the section above to make sure that when migrating
TortoiseSVN (a client program), it won't be a surprise for you that it
potentially had some services or scripts built around it which you
also need to migrate. You need to double-check if a previous admin
built a custom solution around TortoiseSVN or not. If not, then
migrating TortoiseSVN (or any other Subversion client) is trivial.

Hope this helps.

[1]: https://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn.serverconfig.svnserve.html
[2]: https://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn.tour.initial.html
[3]: https://tortoisesvn.net/docs/release/TortoiseSVN_en/tsvn-qs-guide.html#tsvn-qs-wc
[4]: https://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn.ref.svn.c.info.html
[5]: https://tortoisesvn.net/docs/release/TortoiseSVN_en/tsvn-dug-repobrowser.html

Posted by Pavel Lyalyakin via users <us...@subversion.apache.org>.
On Tue, Dec 13, 2022 at 6:29 PM Byles Bernard <bb...@mail.dstl.gov.uk> wrote:

> Classification: UK OFFICIAL
>

> Hi Paval,
>
> Thanks once again.
>
> I've been looking on the server itself and I can see a directory D:\SVN\ which has many folders inside but within all these different folders is:
>
> conf/
> db/
> hooks/
> locks/
>
> So this looks to be their working copy's as you mentioned.

The directories conf/, db/, hooks/, locks/ belong to repositories, not
working copies. So these are version-control databases, and you don't
want to lose them. I would suggest that you discuss with the user on
what to do next. Perhaps the computer also has a Subversion server
solution running. Or the repositories were abandoned some time ago in
the past.

The repositories can be copied as is onto a new computer. But you need
to ensure that the server that makes them available to end users is
stopped. Or you need to be absolutely sure that no one makes write
operations in them.

> I was unable to locate any of the binaries or services you mentioned "svnserve.exe" or "svn.exe" in C:\Program Files\TortoiseSVN\bin. So this looks as though it is just a client install on the Windows 2008 Server rather than SVN server capabilities.

Yes, the part of moving TortoiseSVN - as a client application - is
very straightforward. But since we discovered that the server computer
has some Subversion repositories, I recommend that you find out if you
also need to migrate any Subversion server solution (with the
repositories) and if TortoiseSVN components play crucial part in it
(or is it used as just a client).

Thank you!

Posted by Kenneth Porter <sh...@sewingwitch.com>.
On 12/13/2022 6:29 AM, Byles Bernard via users wrote:
> I've been looking on the server itself and I can see a directory D:\SVN\ which has many folders inside but within all these different folders is:
>
> conf/
> db/
> hooks/
> locks/
>
> So this looks to be their working copy's as you mentioned.

Nope, that's a repository.

> I was unable to locate any of the binaries or services you mentioned "svnserve.exe" or "svn.exe" in C:\Program Files\TortoiseSVN\bin. So this looks as though it is just a client install on the Windows 2008 Server rather than SVN server capabilities.
>
> Although I can see a directory D:\scripts\Repos which does have the same folder structure as D:\SVN but with some scripts/batch files inside.

That directory might be the hook scripts to be called by the server
when, for example, files are checked in.

The repository might be served by a web server. Does this server run
Apache or IIS? Look for configuration there that would be serving the
\svn directory. Apache requires the mod_dav_svn module to do that. I
don't know how IIS serves a repo, or if that's possible.

RE: [UK OFFICIAL] TortoiseSVN (64-bit) - v1.8.0.24401 - Windows Server 2019