Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Rodent of Unusual Size <co...@Apache.Org> on 1998/09/08 23:14:15 UTC

Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3/src/support apachectl

martin@hyperreal.org wrote:

>   Log:
>   Suppress errors of 'kill -0' when no server is running
>
>   -     if kill -0 $PID; then
>   +     if kill -0 $PID 2>/dev/null; then

The problem with this is that it will conceal legitimate errors,
such as '-0' not being a valid combination (as I think was
discovered about six weeks ago on some system or other).

#ken    P-)}

Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3/src/support apachectl

Posted by Martin Kraemer <ma...@mch.sni.de>.
On Tue, Sep 08, 1998 at 05:14:15PM -0400, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
> >   Suppress errors of 'kill -0' when no server is running
> >
> >   -     if kill -0 $PID; then
> >   +     if kill -0 $PID 2>/dev/null; then
>
> The problem with this is that it will conceal legitimate errors,
> such as '-0' not being a valid combination (as I think was
> discovered about six weeks ago on some system or other).

OTOH this prevents us from questions about the error message that's
printed on a legimite "apachectl start".

Wasn't there a talk about adding unlink(ap_pid_fname) to
clean_parent_exit() some time ago?

Do you want me to roll back this change?

    Martin