Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by Martin Lichtin <li...@yahoo.com.INVALID> on 2020/12/02 17:21:11 UTC

Connecting to ActiveMQ (classic) server with a browser

There's something seemingly weird going on when connecting with a browser to the ssl-secured Openwire port of an ActiveMQ (classic) server.

Using this Url: https://AMQ-HOST:OPENWIRE-PORT

The browser sends off a GET request and after 30 seconds actually receives a response from ActiveMQ.
The payload shows (some non-printable chars removed):

  ActiveMQ TcpNoDelayEnabled SizePrefixDisabled CacheSize ProviderName ActiveMQ StackTraceEnabled
  PlatformDetails    Java CacheEnabled TightEncodingEnabled MaxFrameSize MaxInactivityDuration
  MaxInactivityDurationInitalDelay ProviderVersion 5.15.13

Does this behaviour make sense? I would not expect ActiveMQ to reveal this information.
On ther server side, the log entry shows:

2020-12-02T18:08:58,684 | WARN  | InactivityMonitor Worker | Transport                        | ivemq.broker.TransportConnection 243 | 79 - org.apache.activemq.activemq-osgi - 5.15.13 | Transport Connection to: tcp://172.22.33.45:4793 failed: org.apache.activemq.transport.InactivityIOException: Channel was inactive (no connection attempt made) for too (>30000) long: tcp://172.22.33.45:4793

Re: Connecting to ActiveMQ (classic) server with a browser

Posted by Justin Bertram <jb...@apache.org>.
For what it's worth, you can find some documentation on OpenWire here [1].
That doc is a bit out-dated but most of it is still relevant. It looks like
the best documentation on this subject. The data that your browser received
is part of the WIREFORMAT_INFO which is part of the connection negotiation.

Justin

[1] https://activemq.apache.org/openwire-version-2-specification

Posted by Justin Bertram <jb...@apache.org>.