Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Jason Trust <jt...@ctpartners.com> on 2004/02/19 18:11:00 UTC

jsp vs. velocity

Are both the jsp and jetspeed templates kept in sync?  I have been
reading in both the documentation and in a couple of posts that velocity
is the default / preferred method of developing or working with the
templates.  I have seen some things such as the browser title, not being
updated correctly in the jsp templates where the velocity ones seems to
be working correctly.  I just wanted to know if others have been steered
away from using the jsp side of things, because the velocity side is
just kept up to date more or even because one is supported better.

Any thoughts?

My experience with velocity is comprised of looking at the templates in
jetspeed, so I was hoping to stick to jsp's, but if others have had
issues or concerns I was hoping to know earlier and adjust rather than
later and panic.

Jason Trust

___________________________

Corporate Technology Partners, Inc
Emerging Technology Solutions

www.ctpartners.com

877.287.2874 x702

Re: jsp vs. velocity

Posted by Stijn de Witt <St...@chello.nl>.
Thanks Holger, that was exactly what I needed to hear!
I was 'tempted' by Velocity's design from the get go, but because JSP is
more of a standard, we decided internally to start with JSP and move over to
Velocity if we could see some real benefits other than it's
cleaner-and-leaner approach...But everytime I read documentation, people
almost always assumed you were using Velocity and this started to nag on me
a bit. I really needed someone to tell me that it works like a charm and
really should give it a try. Thanks!

-Stijn

Posted by Holger Dewes <h....@insiders.de>.

--
Holger Dewes

Re: jsp vs. velocity

RE: jsp vs. velocity

Posted by Mark Orciuch <ma...@ngsltd.com>.
JSP templates should be in synch with Velocity in respect to navigations,
layouts and most screens (login, confirm, register, change password, edit
user, etc). Other templates are a matter of developer's personal preference.
If you know of any issues with JSP navigations, screens and layouts, please
log them into Bugzilla.

Best regards,

Mark Orciuch - morciuch@apache.org
http://jakarta.apache.org/jetspeed/

Re: jsp vs. velocity

Posted by scott <sc...@macrisolutions.com>.
I have heard both good and bad on each.  Here is some info that might help you
decide.

http://jakarta.apache.org/velocity/casestudy1.html

On Saturday 21 February 2004 02:02 pm, matt kampmeier wrote:
> Has anyone done a detailed performance comparison between the jsp and
> velocity worlds?  While I use jsp's in the business world, I've stuck
> with velocity templates in the jetspeed world because of their relative
> simplicity.  But I'm concerned that I'm paying a noticeable performance
> penalty for that decision. Anyone have any numbers to back this up?
>
> Cheers,
> Matt Kampmeier

Scott A. Macri
Software Engineer/Director