Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Evert Hoff <ev...@tatis.com> on 2011/05/17 16:52:36 UTC

Why does dependency:tree not show what's inside wars?

If I run a "mvn dependency:tree" on a module with EAR packaging, I see the WARs that are included in the EAR, but not what's inside each WAR. With JAR dependencies I can always see the full dependency tree, but not with WARs. Why is this?

Some of these WARs do contain JARs.

If I run the dependency:tree on the module that creates the WAR then I can see what's inside the WAR, but not if I run it on the EAR module.

It would be useful to be able to run a dependency tree on my top module and see all the way to the bottom all the dependencies that are included.

Evert

Re: Why does dependency:tree not show what's inside wars?

Posted by Jörg Schaible <jo...@scalaris.com>.
Hi Evert,

Evert Hoff wrote:

> If I run a "mvn dependency:tree" on a module with EAR packaging, I see the
> WARs that are included in the EAR, but not what's inside each WAR. With
> JAR dependencies I can always see the full dependency tree, but not with
> WARs. Why is this?

Because dependency tree displays the Maven dependency resolution. A war
component does not have dependencies, because it contains it already.

> Some of these WARs do contain JARs.

Yeah, and therefore it does not have to resolve its dependencies anymore.

> If I run the dependency:tree on the module that creates the WAR then I can
> see what's inside the WAR, but not if I run it on the EAR module.

Right.

> It would be useful to be able to run a dependency tree on my top module
> and see all the way to the bottom all the dependencies that are included.

AFAICS it is not directly supported by the Maven core and the plugin would
have to do it on its own.

- Jörg

Re: Why does dependency:tree not show what's inside wars?

Posted by Brian Topping <to...@codehaus.org>.
Are you running dependency:tree from a top-level build that includes both other builds via a parent POM?  That's what I do, reactor does the right thing and dumps all the builds it finds.

Personally, I believe this is the correct behavior, I wouldn't want a reactor dump of such a build to analyze the WAR build twice.

$0.02...