Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com> on 1998/02/20 03:37:31 UTC

Hidden Form Field Vulnerability (fwd)

I really think that this silly "hole" is caused by moron designers more
than anything else and that this doesn't belong in a web server, it is
just a company trying to get more publicity, and their solution is mildly
questionable anyway.

Posted by Michael Douglass <mi...@texas.net>.
On Thu, Feb 19, 1998 at 07:37:31PM -0700, Marc Slemko said:

I hate to say this, but anyone who wants this "in" the apache web server
is not up-to-par with the real world.  If you want this functionality
put anywhere, I would suggest in your CGI program itself.  In fact, for
the perl programmers this could be nicely packaged into the CGI perl
library for ease of use.  I just wouldn't see it being 'rightly' placed
inside the apache server.

--
Michael Douglass
Texas Networking, Inc.

<anon> Who rebooted it?? (pause) <heh-heh-heh> I hit enter!

Re: Hidden Form Field Vulnerability (fwd)

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.
Marc Slemko wrote:

> I really think that this silly "hole" is caused by moron designers more
> than anything else and that this doesn't belong in a web server, it is
> just a company trying to get more publicity, and their solution is mildly
> questionable anyway.

In a word: yuck.  This entire mess is just an exercise in STO, which has
been shown (although no mathematical proofs yet AFAIK ;-) not to work.
There's also the issue of DEcrypting; when the form was submitted, how
would the server know what query-string items needed to be frobbed and
which didn't?

Let the values of the hidden fields be user-opaquified before emission;
the document content is opaque to the server (with the exception of SSIs)
anyway.

Is the exposure of hidden field values an issue?  Questionable at best.
Is this a viable solution?  Not this millenium, IMNSHO.

#ken	P-)}

"Apache Server for Dummies" <http://WWW.Dummies.Com/

Re: Hidden Form Field Vulnerability (fwd)

Posted by Ben Laurie <be...@algroup.co.uk>.
Dirk-Willem van Gulik wrote:

> Crhist!
>
> If you are this braidead... I mean #actively# sending things
> you do not want a user to see to that user...

Exactly. I didn't bother to forward this when a customer sent it to me
last week, because it is clearly just advertising, and not very good
advertising at that.

Cheers,

Ben.

Re: Hidden Form Field Vulnerability (fwd)

Posted by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@jrc.it>.
Crhist!

If you are this braidead... I mean #actively# sending things
you do not want a user to see to that user...

	Hel !