Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by bryan rasmussen <ra...@gmail.com> on 2011/04/06 10:03:06 UTC

tools to move to mongodb if necessary

Hi,

I'm worried that in the future I might need to move to MongoDB, and if
it becomes necessary to make that move I should do so fairly quickly
(this is very much a 'be prepared for eventualities 6 months from now
sort of thing'), so I'm wondering if there are any tools out there to
make such a migration easier, and if there is anything I should
consider when making my couchdb databases in light of a need to
eventually migrate.

My main worry is having data that expands very rapidly

thanks,
Bryan Rasmussen
.

Re: tools to move to mongodb if necessary

Posted by kowsik <ko...@gmail.com>.
WIth the JSON encoder changes + the Snappy compression, the database
size is coming down pretty dramatically and is going to be growing at
a slower rate. I think automatic compaction is on the roadmap as well.

If the rapidly-growing-size is your main concern.

K.
---
http://blitz.io
http://twitter.com/pcapr

Posted by Sean Copenhaver <se...@gmail.com>.
You might want to consider both right now. Last I looked the things I loved about couchdb (rest, replication, _changes, this couchapp design doc idea) do not have an equal in mongodb.

I mentioned mongo in another thread simple because it's the "other one" and didn't realize update functions can take care of revision conflicts.

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.