Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org> on 2011/06/19 03:57:06 UTC

OT: Orcmido-san

Thank you for the wonderful lesson about -san

I answer to Dennis.  One friend speaks of me as Orcmid on Facebook and Flickr.  I think people addressed me as Hamilton when I was a student; now not so much.  Customs change.  When children call me "Mr. Hamilton" I know their parents want them to be respectful, but it sounds strange to me!  For the young relatives in my family, I am "Uncle Dennis" it seems.  When I was a youngster, I was called "Denny" in my family, and relatives still use that.  I hardly notice, but when someone else uses it, I am surprised.

インフォヌーボ
デニス E. ハミルトン

was provided to me by one of my friends in Japan, Mitsuru AKIZAWA.  It was to use on a name card.

The "InfoNuovo" name is not used now.  When I moved to Seattle, that name was too close to the name of a company here.  So I chose "NuovoDoc" for a business name.  I don't know the calligraphy for it.

"E." is my middle initial.  It is pronounced "Ee" but it is not used to address me.  The middle name is "Eugene." If you addressed me by it, I might not know who you were speaking to.  If someone said "Dennis Eugene!" I might know I was in trouble with my mother, but I don't think she ever said it like that :).

Orcmid is perhaps too hard in Japanese.  I have heard it pronounced Orcmido in Japan.

The "Orc" is as in "orchid."  The "mid" is as in "middle."  I think orcmid-san is a little harsh to the ear for both of us?

The name is made up.  It is for a fantasy space alien.  I made it up when I first played Dec Wars on a PDP-10 around 1980.  I have a hand-painted T-shirt with an image of orcmid on it.  Eventually, I will convert that to a digital image.

If I were to attempt to pronounce Khirano, I would have the "h" be silent, with the Khi- as in kick.
(If I was Italian or maybe elsewhere in Europe, someone might say Kee- as in keen.)  Then -rano as ran+oh.

Do either of those sound pleasant to you and not make unpleasant word?

Regards,

 - Dennis