Posted to dev@myfaces.apache.org by Matthias Wessendorf <mw...@gmail.com> on 2005/06/28 09:45:38 UTC

[AJAX] ajaXSLT

Hi ajax *fans*

here is another project (from google)

http://goog-ajaxslt.sourceforge.net/

it is available under BSD licence.

Regards,
Matthias

Re: [AJAX] ajaXSLT

Posted by Matt Blum <mb...@gmail.com>.
Of course, if I'd bothered to read your e-mail in full, I'd've noticed that
you said you solved the div-over-combo-box problem as well. Sorry about
that.

-Matt

Re: [AJAX] ajaXSLT

Posted by Werner Punz <we...@gmx.at>.
Matt Blum wrote:
> Sean Schofield and I have been working on an "input-suggest" control for
> MyFaces that works a lot like Google Suggest does from a UI perspective,
> with a pop-up div that works like a drop-down list, with type-ahead and
> highlighting and the like.  Sean should be committing it pretty soon.

Actually I have solved that one on the ajax side of things for almost
three weeks now, the javascript code is still somewhat dirty but works
exceptionally well...

The code has been in sourceforge for that period of time :-), bugfixes
for it are somewhat newer, also in sourceforge currently you can
find some pure client side tabs which solve a number of problems of the
roundtrip approach (like you dont have to force a form etc...)
and some smaller client side colorers...

> It should be possible to integrate this control with AJAX without
> enormous difficulty.  Sean (who was responsible for the JSF side of
> development, while I did the HTML and Javascript) might be better able
> than I to verify/refute that possibility.

It is there already :-)

> (Incidentally, I'm looking into modifying the DHTML piece so that you
> can avoid the IE bug where a select box is always rendered on top of a
> div.  It turns out that if you create an invisible iframe as a shim of
> sorts, directly underneath the div, select boxes will properly render
> underneath it.  Of course, this fix is only necessary if you're using
> the control near a select box, and if you care whether your form renders
> properly in IE, so it'll be optional.)

Well solved that a few days ago as well :-), thanks to some articles on
the net.

Btw... if you do the iframe approach, make sure that you do not follow
that one once you have a Mozilla as browser, I ran into a nasty bug,
which caused some gecko rendering problems once you started to scroll
the rendered page (basically a small part of the page was not scrolled
correctly in gecko)

I basically ended up with a javascript part which only generates the
iframe as soon as I can be sure to have an IE as underlying browser.
The iframe is not needed in Mozilla and other browsers anyway :-)

Re: [AJAX] ajaXSLT

Posted by Matt Blum <mb...@gmail.com>.

Re: [AJAX] ajaXSLT

Posted by Werner Punz <we...@gmx.at>.
Sean Schofield wrote:
> FYI,
>
> I have something like this already but its not yet AJAX enabled (just
> JSF enabled.)  It will be checked in the sandbox later this week when
> the reorg is done.
>
> sean

Ok wonderful, might be a good starting point for me...
Since I will go the ajax route, I probably can concentrate myself
on writing a renderer only.

My idea is to build a javascripted component stack and after the ajax
request, to fill the components upon their stack names-ids automatically
from the incoming xml data...

Werner

Re: [AJAX] ajaXSLT

Posted by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com>.
FYI,

Re: [AJAX] ajaXSLT

Posted by Werner Punz <we...@gmx.at>.

Re: [AJAX] ajaXSLT

Posted by Werner Punz <we...@gmx.at>.
Matthias Wessendorf wrote:
> Hi ajax *fans*
>
> here is another project (from google)
>
> http://goog-ajaxslt.sourceforge.net/
>
> it is available under BSD licence.

Actually the most interesting approach I have seen
so far is the DWR library, it simply establishes a callback mechanism
from POJOs via an xml definition into AJAX and javascript, by some
automatic mechanisms.

The approach however is a little bit problematic in conjunction with
JSF, because it introduces another set of xml files for the pojo-ajax
definitions, which could cause problems with JSF if somebody issues a
call into the DWR subsystem and JSF is not initialized yet.

The approach however is interesting, and I can see that the whole
binding problem possible could be done within a JSF context, be using
specialized application or session beans with a hook into a phase listener.

I dont have time however too hook myself into that mechanism, yet, but
so far it looks like the best approach done for java currently.
(much better than my simple event callback mechanism, with data builder
objects on the server side)