Posted to dev@shindig.apache.org by chico charlesworth <ch...@googlemail.com> on 2009/02/10 15:39:23 UTC

shindig and spring integration

Hi all,

As you know shindig relies on guice as the preferred dependency injection
framework, and that is all good. Yet we've gone with the approach of using
both spring and guice, simply because spring offers us great support for JPA
(e.g. transaction management) and AOP, and it's likely that we'll be using
other Spring features down the line. There has been a couple of challenges
in getting the project working nicely with these two technologies side by
side, but we're fairly happy as things stand right now. Note that the
integration doesn't include any changes to the shindig codebase, that is, we
still let shindig use guice as expected.

My question to the community is, first and foremost, do you think this would
be beneficial to other people? And if so, what is the best approach in
contributing the shindig/spring integration work we've done?

At the minimum we would like to document this integration work and make it
available to the community, either in a WIKI or as a tutorial. Another
approach would be to include the code in the samples module, but then I
guess we would have to consider splitting the samples module into sub
projects?

Cheers,
Chico

Re: shindig and spring integration

Posted by chico charlesworth <ch...@googlemail.com>.
Great news, the shindig spring example is now ready and waiting on:
http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SHINDIG/Shindig+Spring+Example
(source code available on svn [1])

Thx for Vincent's and Ian's help on this one, will hopefully pave way for
more contributions of Shindig example code :)

Any feedback welcome!

Cheers
Chico

[1]
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/shindig/sandbox/trunk/shindig-spring-example/

Posted by Vincent Siveton <vi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Chico,

Posted by chico charlesworth <ch...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Vincent Siveton <vi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Chico,

Posted by chico charlesworth <ch...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by chico charlesworth <ch...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Vincent Siveton <vi...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Re: Group Support in Shindig

Posted by Louis Ryan <lr...@google.com>.
The short answer is nothing beyond the user relative groups like @friends.
There has been some pretty lively discussion on the spec group about this (
http://groups.google.com/group/opensocial-and-gadgets-spec/topics) but
nothing is on the slate for 0.9

Re: Group Support in Shindig

Posted by Gary Stevens <gs...@us.ibm.com>.
I've been wondering this as well.

Gary F Stevens (gstevens@us.ibm.com)

             Travis Winters
             <travis.winters@c
             ogentconsulting.c                                          To
             om.au>                    shindig-dev@incubator.apache.org
                                                                        cc
             02/10/2009 04:42
             PM                                                    Subject
                                       Group Support in Shindig

             Please respond to
             shindig-dev@incub
              ator.apache.org

Group Support in Shindig

Posted by chico charlesworth <ch...@googlemail.com>.
Thx harry, nice to know that we're not the only ones also using Spring :)

Posted by ha...@nexgo.de.

Posted by chico charlesworth <ch...@googlemail.com>.
All valid points .. sounds best then if I start with documenting it in the
WIKI. Note that this will focus on shindig and spring integration, not
hibernate and AOP .. what Spring is used for after it has been integrated is
down to the user.

Regarding the samples module, imho it's somewhat losing its focus and is
becoming less effective than it should be. I'm also not convinced that the
validation of the SPI should sit in samples? I'd say it would be more useful
to the community if the samples module were to focus on being a good samples
code reference, but split into various mini example projects, each providing
a good test bed to all of shindig's integration hooks.

Cheers,
Chico

Posted by Ian Boston <ie...@tfd.co.uk>.