Posted to p-dev@xerces.apache.org by Berin Lautenbach <be...@ozemail.com.au> on 2003/11/03 23:54:15 UTC

Release process and PMC oversight [WAS xerces-P: CVS, Release process and oversight]

Dirk,

Have pushed this to general@ as well, as the following is a broader
question.

I meant to raise a related topic when I got back (next week), but this
seems like an opportune time.

In my wanderings and discussions around the Foundation I have found a
number of people (including at least one member of the board) indicating
that the PMC of any project is supposed to be formally approving all
releases for all code.

For example :

http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=general@incubator.apache.org&msgNo=2151

Apparently that means that umbrella PMCs, such as this one, are supposed
to be voting on releases for all sub-projects.  We don't do that.  To
date we have worked on the basis that there is a PMC member in each
sub-project that is doing the due-diligence.

Now I am not sure if that this requirement for more direct PMC oversite
is formally stated by the board anywhere, but given we have to do a
report for this month's board meeting (see e-mail yet to come) I thought
it might be worth putting the question to the board.  But I didn't want
to do so without getting some thoughts from the wider project first.

All thoughts very welcome.

I also think that (at the very least) the PMC might be able to step in
for the code with small committer bases, such as Xerces-P to help out
with the peer review.  But again - very open to thoughts.

Cheers,
	Berin