Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org> on 2008/08/04 16:42:59 UTC

Re: [jSPF] cost of supporting offline builds

Robert Burrell Donkin ha scritto:
> On 7/29/08, Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org> wrote:
>> Robert Burrell Donkin ha scritto:

>>> i'd probably approach this a little differently. i'm not sure a VOTE
>>> is really necessary or indeed a good idea.
>>>
>>> if anyone wants to volunteer to create and maintain an ant build
>>> including offline support for jSPF then that's cool by me and i'd have
>>> no problem keeping it in. if no one is willing to maintain an ant
>>> build including offline support (and i'm not for this product) then it
>>> should be removed. in either case, it's about individuals caring
>>> enough about a feature to step up and maintain it, not about some vote
>>> by the general community.
>>>
>>> so i'd just post a email such as this and then ask if anyone cares
>>> enough about this feature to volunteer to maintain it.
>>>
>>> but this is just my 2 cents...
>> I love this approach and I hope the rest of the PMC share your opinion!
>>
>> I also agree that similar stuff shouldn't need a VOTE, but I proposed a
>> VOTE because the last time build.xml has not been updated we had a
>> number of complaint for people that was against a release not including
>> a working build.xml. So a the VOTE was intended to not hide this change
>> in a simple message, but instead make the community aware of the issue
>> in the spirit of the least surprise.
>
> A VOTE now will not stop objections when it comes to a release

No one else commented on this.

So, do you propose I simply go ahead and ignore m2 offline builds and
ant builds?

My main concern is that I don't want to waste my time working on this.
If people will have to complain later I prefer them to complain now. I'm
used to people complaining for everything here, but if you think this
kind of stuff should be managed as you proposed and a that I should not
call a vote I'll trust your experience and proceed along that line (that
would also be my preffered way to work).

Stefano

Re: [jSPF] cost of supporting offline builds

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 6:59 PM, Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org> wrote:
> Robert Burrell Donkin ha scritto:
>>
>> it's better to use a PROPOSAL or a POLL and then moved gradually
>> trying to carry the community with me (or at least as many who wanted
>> to come along), or just invoked Rules For Revolutionaries and forked
>
> Done. Just wrote a PROPOSAL. How much should I wait before proceeding in the
> case no one object? (this thread is 6 days old.. maybe another week for the
> PROPOSAL thread is enough?)

it's a judgement call. it's not a VOTE with a formal end set. there's
no need to total a result or anything. just a change to gauge and
build a consensus. if no one seems particularly bothered then just go
ahead.

- robert

Re: [jSPF] cost of supporting offline builds

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
Robert Burrell Donkin ha scritto:
> it's better to use a PROPOSAL or a POLL and then moved gradually
> trying to carry the community with me (or at least as many who wanted
> to come along), or just invoked Rules For Revolutionaries and forked

Done. Just wrote a PROPOSAL. How much should I wait before proceeding in
the case no one object? (this thread is 6 days old.. maybe another week
for the PROPOSAL thread is enough?)

>> so I will follow your suggestion and skip the vote now.
>
> it's important to keep talking so that everyone has a chance to
> realise what's happening

No problem, I'm good at this. I'll reply to anyone asking questions. I
still have to find the right balance to avoid both people complaining
because I act without discussing and people comlaining because I act
with too much discussions.

"Getting things done" is hard here, and I have no codebase issues.

I appreciate your help, indeed, even if I don't hide that I'm a lot
skeptic about the whole thing.

Stefano

Re: [jSPF] cost of supporting offline builds

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 5:46 PM, Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org> wrote:
> Robert Burrell Donkin ha scritto:

>>> No one else commented on this.
>>>
>>> So, do you propose I simply go ahead and ignore m2 offline builds and ant
>>> builds?
>>>
>>> My main concern is that I don't want to waste my time working on this. If
>>> people will have to complain later I prefer them to complain now. I'm
>>> used
>>> to people complaining for everything here, but if you think this kind of
>>> stuff should be managed as you proposed and a that I should not call a
>>> vote
>>> I'll trust your experience and proceed along that line (that would also
>>> be
>>> my preffered way to work).
>>
>> calling a VOTE now does not bind voters for the future: when it comes
>> to a release, people may decide that they really want an offline build
>> and that's what's required. if so then one can be added.
>
> I thought that a collaborative environment is made by people that know today
> if they will vote down a release tomorrow because of a specific issue.

no one knows what'll happen tomorrow :-)

just decide on today's issues

> But I already had bad experience even when I called the VOTE for a shared
> goal (the famous unanimous vote about next-major almost 2 years ago) and
> then people said I was pushing my own goals,

VOTEs like this are usually a mistake

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
Robert Burrell Donkin ha scritto:
> On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 3:42 PM, Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org> wrote:
>> Robert Burrell Donkin ha scritto:

>>> A VOTE now will not stop objections when it comes to a release
>> No one else commented on this.
>>
>> So, do you propose I simply go ahead and ignore m2 offline builds and ant
>> builds?
>>
>> My main concern is that I don't want to waste my time working on this. If
>> people will have to complain later I prefer them to complain now. I'm used
>> to people complaining for everything here, but if you think this kind of
>> stuff should be managed as you proposed and a that I should not call a vote
>> I'll trust your experience and proceed along that line (that would also be
>> my preffered way to work).
>
> calling a VOTE now does not bind voters for the future: when it comes
> to a release, people may decide that they really want an offline build
> and that's what's required. if so then one can be added.

I thought that a collaborative environment is made by people that know
today if they will vote down a release tomorrow because of a specific issue.

But I already had bad experience even when I called the VOTE for a
shared goal (the famous unanimous vote about next-major almost 2 years
ago) and then people said I was pushing my own goals, so I will follow
your suggestion and skip the vote now.

In the worst case we'll stop having new releases for jSPF, too. In the
end is the only product having a release in the last year, so this seems
a natural future ;-)

Stefano

Re: [jSPF] cost of supporting offline builds

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.