Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by co...@covalent.net on 2002/06/11 19:08:28 UTC

Build: ant/lib solution ?

Ant depends on few dozens of packages itself. What they do is
use a single lib/ directory where all the jars must be installed.

I think this is a very good solution. It matches what jpackage
is doing ( putting .jars in /usr/share/java - so on linux we could
just point the lib.dir to /usr/share/java ).

I think the 'right' solution would be to use some tool ( ant task )
that will scan the manifests and extract the version number, API etc.
Long term at least that should be the solution. Most of the
code is already in the tomcat classloader ( required by 2.3 spec ),
it just needs to be moved to an ant task.

This will eliminate all the path and name problems - just place all the
jars ( with version number ) in lib/, run the tool to extract the
version ( either from manifest or maybe the jar name if the manifest is
not there ), and use a more 'declarative' available.

Well, that's long term - I have not time to implement it now.

Costin