Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org> on 2003/02/07 11:42:42 UTC

[Fwd: ASL in non ASF code.]

Isn't it maybe a good idea to move ant-contrib as an ant.apache.org
subproject?

Posted by Conor MacNeill <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au>.
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Isn't it maybe a good idea to move ant-contrib as an ant.apache.org
> subproject?

If the owners of the code wish to propose all or parts of the ant-contrib
project to Apache, I would support it. It would be up to the PMC to vote on
that, though (Hmmm, add that to the bylaws).

Now, Nicola Ken, as a member of the incubator PMC, would that, IYHO, be
required to go through the incubator? Unfortunately, IMHO, the incubator is
not really functioning very well at the moment, which is a pity.

Conor

Re: [Fwd: ASL in non ASF code.]

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

Stefan Bodewig wrote, On 07/02/2003 14.35:
> On Fri, 07 Feb 2003, Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org> wrote:
>

>>IMHO I would say no. It's maintained by Ant committers IIUC,
>

> Not true.
>
> Sourceforge has developers and "Project Admins", you know that, and if
> you look ate the list here
> <http://sourceforge.net/project/memberlist.php?group_id=36177>, there
> are two project admins, neither of which is an Ant committer.
>
> Out of seven developers listed there, two are Ant committers.

Hmmm, you are right, I got confused by the commit messages I see lately %-)

>>and the community is very tied to the Ant one.
>
> True.

I still remain of the idea that it doesn't need incubation, but it's
also up to the Ant PMC to decide if they would like to require it, and
in this case it would be done.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: [Fwd: ASL in non ASF code.]

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 07 Feb 2003, Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org> wrote:

> IMHO I would say no. It's maintained by Ant committers IIUC,

Not true.

Sourceforge has developers and "Project Admins", you know that, and if
you look ate the list here
<http://sourceforge.net/project/memberlist.php?group_id=36177>, there
are two project admins, neither of which is an Ant committer.

Out of seven developers listed there, two are Ant committers.

> and the community is very tied to the Ant one.

True.

Stefan

Re: [Fwd: ASL in non ASF code.]

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Stefan Bodewig wrote, On 07/02/2003 12.44:
> On Fri, 07 Feb 2003, Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>>Isn't it maybe a good idea to move ant-contrib as an ant.apache.org
>>subproject?
>
> I think right now is a good time to get the migration to a top-level
> project finalized (bylaws and all that), then to get 1.5.2 out of the
> door and then to ask such questions 8-)

Come on, it was just about stating an intention, not to be done today ;-)

Conor MacNeill wrote, On 07/02/2003 12.03:

 > If the owners of the code wish to propose all or parts of the
 > ant-contrib project to Apache, I would support it. It would be up
 > to the
 > PMC to vote on that, though (Hmmm, add that to the bylaws).
 >
 > Now, Nicola Ken, as a member of the incubator PMC, would that, IYHO,
 > be
 > required to go through the incubator?

IMHO I would say no. It's maintained by Ant committers IIUC, and the
community is very tied to the Ant one. We don't need to incubate a
virgin community here, or check that one external to Apache knows how to
function.

 > Unfortunately, IMHO,
 > the incubator
 > is not really functioning very well at the moment, which is a pity.

We are incubating ourselves, and it ain't easy %-)
But we're starting to mive, it's all new ground here, and we have to
juggle different views on what the incubator should do.

Finding an identity is the toughest part now.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: [Fwd: ASL in non ASF code.]

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.