Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Mattias Brändström <br...@ludd.luth.se> on 2002/05/05 14:42:28 UTC

logging

Hi!

Now I have yet another question. =)

How can I write log messages to some kind of log (preferably the one
specified by the Logger element) in a JSP-page. I have tried to write to
  both System.err and System.out but nothing ends up in my log file. Is
there some special way to obtain a 'logger' object or is there some
settings in server.xml that I have missed?

Any help would be greatly appriciated!

Regards,
Mattias

PS. My server.xml file is attached.

Re: logging

Posted by steven shingler <st...@hiredminds.com>.
Hello Mattias

If you are wanting to log from a servlet, then this could help...

The GenericServlet class (a super class of HttpServlet - and therefore one
that you will almost certainly be importing already) contains two log()
methods.

One for just a String message eg:
log("we are in init()");

And one for a String with a Throwable parameter - to use as part of error
handling eg:

Catch(Exception e){
    log("it broke because: ",e);
}

And those messages should end up in yr log.txt as specified in yr web.xml

Try and see if you've got the api docs installed - this is where mine are:

http://127.0.0.1:8080/tomcat-docs/servletapi/javax/servlet/GenericServlet.ht
ml

Hope that helps

Steve

Steven Shingler

Re: logging

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Sun, 5 May 2002, Mattias Brändström wrote:

> Date: Sun, 05 May 2002 14:42:28 +0200
> From: Mattias Brändström <br...@ludd.luth.se>
> To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
> Subject: logging
>
> Hi!
>
> Now I have yet another question. =)
>
> How can I write log messages to some kind of log (preferably the one
> specified by the Logger element) in a JSP-page. I have tried to write to
>   both System.err and System.out but nothing ends up in my log file. Is
> there some special way to obtain a 'logger' object or is there some
> settings in server.xml that I have missed?

In a servlet, anything logged with the ServletContext.log() method goes to
the file that is configured with the <Logger> element.  That means, from a
JSP page, that you'd have to use a scriptlet something like this:

<%
  application.log("Hello, world!");
%>

since the default "application" object is, in fact, the ServletContext
object for your webapp.

> Any help would be greatly appriciated!
>
> Regards,
> Mattias