Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by Joe Morrogh <jm...@hotmail.com> on 2003/03/01 03:56:14 UTC

Using Screen classes with JSP

Hi,

I'm new to Turbine, am trying to use JSP templates with Turbine 2.2, and
could use some direction on using Screen classes.  It seems that the purpose
of Screen classes is to populate the request with data for the JSP to
display, and, possibly, to use the Security API to restrict access to
screens.  The doBuild() method of the JspLayout class doesn't seem to
execute the Screen class [i.e.
ScreenLoader.getInstance().eval(data,data.getScreen());] like the
DefaultLayout class does, though.  Does this mean that Screen classes are
not recommended for JSP?  I also notice Jetspeed, the Jakarta portal
project, seems to use Actions exclusively, not Screens.

Any insight appreciated.

Thanks,
Joe

BTW Velocity looks nice, but is not an option for this project.

Re: Using Screen classes with JSP

Posted by Gabriel Moreno <ga...@itcsoluciones.com>.
Joe,
I use JSP for templates and use Screens. They do get called. I was in
the same situation you are--even though I prefer Velocity I had to use
JSP. Therefore, I added new features to enhance JSP support in Turbine,
making it support Context to pass data around and ActionEvents. I posted
this patch on the turbine-dev list.

Gabriel

On Fri, 2003-02-28 at 23:56, Joe Morrogh wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm new to Turbine, am trying to use JSP templates with Turbine 2.2, and
> could use some direction on using Screen classes.  It seems that the purpose
> of Screen classes is to populate the request with data for the JSP to
> display, and, possibly, to use the Security API to restrict access to
> screens.  The doBuild() method of the JspLayout class doesn't seem to
> execute the Screen class [i.e.
> ScreenLoader.getInstance().eval(data,data.getScreen());] like the
> DefaultLayout class does, though.  Does this mean that Screen classes are
> not recommended for JSP?  I also notice Jetspeed, the Jakarta portal
> project, seems to use Actions exclusively, not Screens.
>
> Any insight appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Joe
>
> BTW Velocity looks nice, but is not an option for this project.

Gabriel Moreno
ITC Soluciones
gabrielm@itcsoluciones.com