Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Josh Holtzman <jh...@americandatacompany.com> on 2004/04/12 05:52:03 UTC

html:link -- module attribute

Hello,

I'm developing a struts application with two modules - a website module, and
an Extranet module which permits users to login and handle administrative
matters.

The login page is part of the Extranet module, however, because at this
point a user has not successfully logged into the Extranet module, the look
and feel of the page is still similar to the website.  To paint this look
and feel, I'm using Tiles definitions for the website's navigation header
and footer.

The problem I am encountering is that since these navigation links are
relative to the (default) struts module, when these tiles are loaded within
the Extranet module, the Struts framework generates them relative to the
current Extranet module - thus making them useless.

In searching to make these links relative to the default website module
regardless of which module these tiles are loaded, I searched the html:link
API (http://jakarta.apache.org/struts/userGuide/struts-html.html#link) .
The documentation states that there is a "module" attribute.  See the
explanation below:

"Module:"

"Prefix name of a Module that contains the action mapping for the Action
that is specified by the action attribute. You must specify an action
attribute for this to have an effect."

"Note: Use "" to map to the default module."

In reading this it appears that this may be the correct path to take.  For
each of my navigational links, one logical thing to do seems to add the
following to each html:link tag.

Where the module always references the default module.

However, when I attempted to do this I find that this attribute is not
supported in the most recent build of Struts 1.1.  "Module" is not a valid
attribute according to the Struts HTML tld.

Can anyone assist me with this situation?  Is the API documentation located
at this URL out of date?

Can anyone offer any other ideas as to how to enforce that my navigation
links always reference the default application module.

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,

Josh Holtzman

American Data Company

jholtzman@americandatacompany.com

Sun Microsystems iForce Partner

RE: html:link -- module attribute

Posted by Josh Holtzman <jh...@americandatacompany.com>.
Bill,

Thank you.

What is the Status of the 1.2 build?  Is it stable?

Also, is it specified in the documentation that the module attribute is only
available in Struts 1.2?  Or is this misleading in the documentation?

Thanks again.

Regards,

Josh Holtzman

American Data Company

jholtzman@americandatacompany.com

Voice: (310) 470-1257

Fax:    (310) 362-8454

Sun Microsystems iForce Partner

The "module" attribute of html:link is available in the nightly build
(Struts 1.2).  To make your links work with Struts 1.1 use the SwitchAction.

Posted by Bill Siggelkow <bi...@bellsouth.net>.