Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by "R.J. Steinert" <rj...@rjsteinert.com> on 2012/09/10 00:01:06 UTC

Distributed Offline Apps that never need to go online. Here's one. Any others?

Hi everyone,
I'm lead developer for Open Learning Exchange and we just received an award
from USAID to run a pilot project in 20 schools in Ghana which involves the
CouchApp I've been developing (https://github.com/rjsteinert/ole-library).
 The app is called Open Learning Exchange Library App and being a CouchApp
enables the app to distribute educational materials and feedback on those
materials in an offline setting.  Schools will visit each other in a
pattern that will allow the replication process to spread CouchDB Docs like
a virus.

Are there any other examples of projects like the OLE Library App?  I'm
busy writing 4 blog posts about all of this and it would be great to have
some other examples of similar projects or simply a post talking about
Distributed Offline Apps that never need to go online.

--
RJ Steinert
http://rjsteinert.com

Re: Distributed Offline Apps that never need to go online. Here's one. Any others?

Posted by "R.J. Steinert" <rj...@rjsteinert.com>.
Thanks to all who replied.  After some more research this evening I found J
Chris Anderson's talk from last year's CouchConf (http://vimeo.com/28943423)
and it seems the keyword I was looking for here is "Ground Computing".
 Caolon McMohan who works on Kan.so also apparently runs
groundcomputing.co.uk which includes three example Ground Computing
projects, one of which seems to be active (http://medicmobile.org/).  The
OLE Library App is currently very much in Alpha and I will be developing a
road map for the project this week.

If anyone knows of any other Ground Computing examples or you just want to
talk architecture with me, let me know :).

--
RJ Steinert
http://rjsteinert.com