Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Olivier Lamy <ol...@accor.com> on 2005/08/09 18:08:02 UTC

[Digester] stream/xpp parser

Hi all,
Is there any planned feature to use digester with javax.xml.stream or
xpp3 parser ?
Thanks,
Olivier

This e-mail, any attachments and the information contained therein ("this message") are confidential and intended solely for the use of the addressee(s). If you have received this message in error please send it back to the sender and delete it. Unauthorized publication, use, dissemination or disclosure of this message, either in whole or in part is strictly prohibited.
Ce message electronique et tous les fichiers joints ainsi que  les informations contenues dans ce message ( ci apres "le message" ), sont confidentiels et destines exclusivement a l'usage de la  personne a laquelle ils sont adresses. Si vous avez reu ce message par erreur, merci  de le renvoyer a son emetteur et de le detruire. Toutes diffusion, publication, totale ou partielle ou divulgation sous quelque forme que se soit non expressement autorisees de ce message, sont interdites.

Re: RE : [Digester] stream/xpp parser

Posted by Simon Kitching <sk...@apache.org>.
[AARGH - I hate top-posting!]

There are no current plans to make digester work with any kind of "pull"
parser.

What exactly would be the purpose of this? Generally, users of Digester
don't care that it uses SAX internally; they just tell digester to
"parse that file" and a tree of objects are returned without the user
caring what xml api is used under the hood.

All modern JVMs come with xml parsers that support SAX, and I don't see
any performance benefits for Digester to work with a pull api rather
than SAX. I guess it means that when users write custom rules they could
somehow use pull rather than the "push" concept; but I expect that would
require a radical rework of the Rule API which certainly isn't going to
happen in a stable library.

Can you explain why support for a streaming api would be useful?

Cheers,

Simon