Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Matt Jones <jo...@nceas.ucsb.edu> on 2003/02/14 18:28:08 UTC

forrest webapp install fails for 0.4 release

Hi,

I just downloaded forrest 0.4 and tried to install the webapp on a clean
machine.  After running 'forrest webapp' and configuring it in Tomcat
3.3.1a, I tried to access the webapp and got a ClassNotFoundException
for a xerces class.

It turns out that neither the xml-apis.jar nor the xercesImpl.jar were
copied over to the webapp/WEB-INF/lib directory.  Looking at the forrest
build file, it seems that these files are not copied if one is using
jdk1.4+.  I am using jdk1.4.1_01 on linux.  By manually copying those
two jars across from forrest, the webapp then worked flawlessly.

Is there another way I should have fixed this?  Can the webapp target be
patched to copy these jar files as well, even under jdk1.4+?  If
jdk1.4.1 is supposed to contain a copy of these jars already, do you
have any ideas as to why weren't they found on my classpath?

Thanks,
Matt

Re: forrest webapp install fails for 0.4 release

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Feb 14, 2003 at 08:28:08AM -0900, Matt Jones wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just downloaded forrest 0.4 and tried to install the webapp on a clean
> machine.  After running 'forrest webapp' and configuring it in Tomcat
> 3.3.1a, I tried to access the webapp and got a ClassNotFoundException
> for a xerces class.
>
> It turns out that neither the xml-apis.jar nor the xercesImpl.jar were
> copied over to the webapp/WEB-INF/lib directory.  Looking at the forrest
> build file, it seems that these files are not copied if one is using
> jdk1.4+.  I am using jdk1.4.1_01 on linux.  By manually copying those
> two jars across from forrest, the webapp then worked flawlessly.
>
> Is there another way I should have fixed this?  Can the webapp target be
> patched to copy these jar files as well, even under jdk1.4+?  If
> jdk1.4.1 is supposed to contain a copy of these jars already, do you
> have any ideas as to why weren't they found on my classpath?

JDK 1.4 comes with the Crimson XML parser, and an old buggy version of
Xalan.  Forrest requires Xerces (some XNI stuff) and a more recent
version of Xalan.

With Tomcat 3.x, this can be achieved by setting:

export TOMCAT_OPTS=-Djava.endorsed.dirs=$FORREST_HOME/lib/endorsed

Or (I think) copying the $FORREST_HOME/lib/endorsed/*.jar files into
$JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/endorsed

HTH,

--Jeff