Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Alexander Schwartz <al...@interActive-systems.de> on 2007/01/04 11:57:55 UTC

[m2] Configuring m2 for a corporate environment

Hi,

I am configuring m2 for a corporate enviroment.
Some of our goals are to
  [goal #1] reduce the local (user depending) configuration,
  [goal #2] reduce the manual steps to install/maintain a local m2
installation on
                on a developer machine or a build server.

The m2 book `Better builds with Maven' suggests to manage the m2
installation using an SCM tool. (BTW, the `vendor branch' idee helps to
simplify this; compare for instance
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.1/ch07s05.html)
The configuration for the corporate environment resides in the patched
settings.xml in
the SCM. The settings.xml file for each user can be reduced to a few lines
containing login data only.
To install m2 on a developer machine a checkout from SCM (followed by
setting some
environment variables) is sufficient. This satisfies goal #1.

However, what about goal #2 with respect to changes of the global
settings.xml file?
In this case every developer has to update its m2 checkout installation
manually to
receive the fresh settings. This is too error prune. We would appreciate
a solution
which ensures that the m2 configuration is fresh every time m2 is
executed (without
any manual interaction steps).
Our current solution/workaround is to patch the m2 start scripts and
perform an
SCM update of the local working copy of the local settings.xml file
before executing m2.

I would prefer if m2 would read its configuration from an URL. In this case
we could use an http URL pointing to the settings.xml file in our
subversion system.
M2 allows to relocate the global settings file using the following
system property:

  -Dorg.apache.maven.global-settings=/path/to/global/settings.xml

(Compare
http://www.nabble.com/MAVEN_INSTALL_DIR-conf-settings.xml-tf2731054s177.html#a7617614)

This system property allows to specify a path to an appropriate settings
file, but
unfortunately you cannot provide an URL to such a file.

MY QUESTION IS, what do you think about extending the semantics of
 'org.apache.maven.global-settings' to support URLs, too?

Any votes for such a change request?
In case of many Ys I will file an issue + commit a patch (including unit
tests).

BTW, for which is the correct JIRA project to file such an issue?

Best regards,

Alex

Re: [m2] Configuring m2 for a corporate environment

Posted by Johan Lindquist <jo...@kawoo.co.uk>.

Hi Alexander,

I like this idea, and if I may, I'd like to add one suggestion.  How
about allowing the users settings.xml to 'include' a settings.xml from a
different location (file, url, whatever).  This would allow developers
to customize the settings.xml while still having a central repo for the
global settings ...

My two cents,

Cheers,

Johan