Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Paul Stanton <pa...@mapshed.com.au> on 2012/03/19 02:20:29 UTC

simple user authentication

Hi group,

Is it recommended to use a security module such as tynamo's
tapestry-security when all you require is username/password
authentication to a couple of pages?

Is there a simpler add-on module?

Is 'roll-your-own' a generally accepted practice for a simple
implementation?

Discuss....

thanks, Paul.

Re: simple user authentication

Posted by Bob Harner <bo...@gmail.com>.
My advice... "Roll-your-own" can be okay for simple cases, but
home-grown security implementations, even for such "simple" cases, can
have subtle security vulnerabilities that a well-tested library like
Tapestry-security probably won't. And many "simple" cases evolve into
complex ones over time, so spending a few hours putting in a solid
security implementation (such as Tapestry-security with Shiro) that
can grow with your application usually makes sense.

Posted by Taha Hafeez Siddiqi <ta...@gmail.com>.
Hi

On Mar 19, 2012, at 6:50 AM, Paul Stanton wrote:

> Hi group,
>
> Is it recommended to use a security module such as tynamo's tapestry-security when all you require is username/password authentication to a couple of pages?

If the project is going to stay at "a couple of pages of authentication", you can always role your own. http://tapestryjava.blogspot.in/2009/12/securing-tapestry-pages-with.html.

> Is there a simpler add-on module?

You have to add dependencies, write a Realm and define the rules. Not more than 10-15 lines. What can be simpler :)

> Is 'roll-your-own' a generally accepted practice for a simple implementation?

I did that in a couple of projects but then went back to tapestry-security. :).

> Discuss....
>
> thanks, Paul.

regards
Taha