Posted to dev@arrow.apache.org by Ian Cook <ia...@ursacomputing.com> on 2021/09/01 13:47:39 UTC

Arrow sync call September 1 at 12:00 US/Eastern, 16:00 UTC

Hi all,

Our biweekly sync call is today at 12:00 noon Eastern time.

We have switched to using Zoom instead of Google Meet. The Zoom
meeting URL for this and future Arrow sync calls is:
https://zoom.us/j/87649033008?pwd=SitsRHluQStlREM0TjJVYkRibVZsUT09

Alternatively, enter this information into the Zoom website or app to
join the call:
Meeting ID: 876 4903 3008
Passcode: 958092

To add the biweekly call to your calendar, download the .ics file from
this URL and import it into your calendar:
https://zoom.us/meeting/tZMrc-CorTgqGtzXiRNrAxEmhI-M4d2WadSm/ics?icsToken=98tyKuGvqD8jGteWsBmPRpwEBI-gXfTztnZfjbdHpBbXLTJyeib7PssPH-Z7Qu_R

All are welcome to join. Notes will be shared with the mailing list afterward.

Thanks,
Ian

Re: Arrow sync call September 1 at 12:00 US/Eastern, 16:00 UTC

Posted by Ian Cook <ia...@ursacomputing.com>.
Meeting notes (with apologies for the delay in sending these out):

Attendees:

- Nate Bauernfeind
- Phillip Cloud
- Ian Cook
- Nic Crane
- David Li
- Rok Mihevc
- Eduardo Ponce
- Micah Kornfield
- Niranda Perera

- Deephaven built a asynchronous event-driven framework for Arrow
Flight in C++ and Java
  - See details at [1] and [2]
    - David will review the open PRs
  - Nate gave a demo of the work Deephaven has done to enable Flight
in the browser
    - Discussion of limitations inherent from Javascript and various
proposed solutions

- Compute IR proposals
  - There have been three PRs [3][4][5]
  - Phillip and Ben are still soliciting feedback on their PR #10934 [3]
  - Intention is to participate in the cross-project Substrait
initiative while also developing an experimental serialization format
like in #10934 with the understanding that this might be replaced by
Substrait in the future.
    - This will unblock immediate development of interfaces to the
query execution work in Arrow
    - See Wes email summarizing all this at [6]

- SIMD vectorization support
  - Eduardo is working on a PR

- Current lack of a concat method for RecordBatches
  - Niranda discussed this; unclear why this doesn't exist; Niranda
will create a Jira

[1] https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/re800c63f0eb08022c8cd5e1b2236fd69a2e85afdc34daf6b75e3b7b3%40%3Cdev.arrow.apache.org%3E
[2] https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/r989ad1bac0bdda7914c58e6f3518847ce76fae98c2463785104eec32%40%3Cdev.arrow.apache.org%3E
[3] https://github.com/apache/arrow/pull/10856