Posted to dev@spark.apache.org by Ryan Blue <rb...@netflix.com.INVALID> on 2018/11/08 20:12:05 UTC

DataSourceV2 capability API

Hi everyone,

I’d like to propose an addition to DataSourceV2 tables, a capability API.
This API would allow Spark to query a table to determine whether it
supports a capability or not:

val table = catalog.load(identifier)
val supportsContinuous = table.isSupported("continuous-streaming")

There are a couple of use cases for this. First, we want to be able to fail
fast when a user tries to stream a table that doesn’t support it. The
design of our read implementation doesn’t necessarily support this. If we
want to share the same “scan” across streaming and batch, then we need to
“branch” in the API after that point, but that is at odds with failing
fast. We could use capabilities to fail fast and not worry about that
concern in the read design.

I also want to use capabilities to change the behavior of some validation
rules. The rule that validates appends, for example, doesn’t allow a write
that is missing an optional column. That’s because the current v1 sources
don’t support reading when columns are missing. But Iceberg does support
reading a missing column as nulls, so that users can add a column to a
table without breaking a scheduled job that populates the table. To fix
this problem, I would use a table capability, like
read-missing-columns-as-null.

Any comments on this approach?

rb
--
Ryan Blue
Software Engineer

Re: DataSourceV2 capability API

Posted by JackyLee <qc...@163.com>.
I don't know if it is a right thing to make table API as
ContinuousScanBuilder -> ContinuousScan -> ContinuousBatch, it makes
batch/microBatch/Continuous too different from each other.
In my opinion, these are basically similar at the table level. So is it
possible to design an API like this?
ScanBuilder -> Scan -> ContinuousBatch/MicroBatch/SingleBatch

Re: DataSourceV2 capability API

Posted by Wenchen Fan <cl...@gmail.com>.
I think this works, but there are also other solutions, e.g. mixin traits
and runtime exceptions

Assuming the general abstraction is: table -> scan builder -> scan ->
batch/batches (see alternative #2 in the doc
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1uUmKCpWLdh9vHxP7AWJ9EgbwB_U6T3EJYNjhISGmiQg/edit?usp=sharing>
)

For example, if we want to tell if a table supports continuous streaming,
we can define 3 traits(interfaces)
interface SupportsBatchScan extends Table {
  ScanBuilder newScanBuilder();
}
interface SupportsMicroBatchScan extends Table {
  ScanBuilder newScanBuilder();
}
interface SupportsContinuousScan extends Table {
  ScanBuilder newScanBuilder();
}

And see if the given table implements SupportsContinuousScan or not. Note
that, Java allows a class to implement different interfaces with the same
method(s).

Or put everything in the table interface
interface Table {
  default ScanBuilder newSingleBatchScanBuilder() { throw exception }
  default ScanBuilder newMicroBatchScanBuilder() { throw exception }
  default ScanBuilder newContinuousScanBuilder() { throw exception }
}

And Spark just calls the corresponding method of a scan mode.

Another problem is how much type safety we want. Better type safety usually
means more complicated interfaces.

For example, if we want strong type safety, we need to do the branching
between batch, micro-batch and continuous modes at the table level. Then
the table interface becomes (assuming we pick the mixin trait solution)
interface SupportsBatchScan extends Table {
  SingBatchScanBuilder newScanBuilder();
}
interface SupportsMicroBatchScan extends Table {
  MicroBatchScanBuilder newScanBuilder();
}
interface SupportsContinuousScan extends Table {
  ContinuousScanBuilder newScanBuilder();
}

The drawback is, we have a lot of interfaces, i.e. ContinuousScanBuilder ->
ContinuousScan -> ContinuousBatch, and their corresponding versions for
other 2 scan modes.

If we don't care much about type safety, we can do the  branching at the
scan level:
interface Scan {
  // batch and micro-batch modes share the same Batch interface
  default Batch newSingleBatch() { throw exception }
  default Batch newMicroBatch() { throw exception }
  default ContinuousBatch newContinuousBatch() { throw exception }
}

Now we have ScanBuilder and Scan interfaces shared for all the scan modes,
and only have different batch interfaces. We can delay the branching
further, but that needs some refactoring of the continuous streaming data
source APIs.

I think the capability API is not a must-have at the current stage, but
it's worth to investigate further and see which use cases it can help.

Thanks,
Wenchen

Posted by Ryan Blue <rb...@netflix.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Ryan Blue <rb...@netflix.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Reynold Xin <rx...@databricks.com>.

Posted by Ryan Blue <rb...@netflix.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Reynold Xin <rx...@databricks.com>.

Posted by Ryan Blue <rb...@netflix.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Felix Cheung <fe...@hotmail.com>.
One question is where will the list of capability strings be defined?

Posted by Ryan Blue <rb...@netflix.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Reynold Xin <rx...@databricks.com>.