Posted to dev@felix.apache.org by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com> on 2012/10/03 19:28:49 UTC

[DS] Feedback wanted on some ideas

I've had several ideas about DS enhancements, some of which I've implemented, and would like some feedback about how desirable they are before committing or proceeding with them.

1.  (FELIX-3692)  If you manually enable/disable components some of the work gets done asynchronously.  I propose an api for finding out whether this work is done or waiting for it, something like

   boolean tasksCompleted();

   void waitForTasksCompleted();

on ScrService.   (suggestions for better names welcome :-)  One use would be in our tests to replace the delay() call.

2.  (FELIX-3557) There are several circumstances in which, as the spec warns, you can't establish a circular dependency between components.  In some of these cases, the order in which the components are activated determines whether all the references are established.  This is hard to understand from a users point of view :-).  Sometimes it's possible to detect these situations and establish the reference asynchronously.  The patch attached to the issue does this but needs a little more work to only try with services from DS components.

For these two, I'm wondering if they would be useful enough to propose for the DS 1.3 spec.

3. (re-proposal)  I'd like to propose moving the implementation to java 5 again with generics etc.  The last time I suggested this there was a lot of pushback on the grounds that there are a lot of people using DS on limited platforms.  However, none of these alleged :-) people is using trunk, because for several months the classes pulled from the concurrent library were wrong and trunk just didn't run on pre-java-5 vms.  Are the compendium 4.3 spec classes we pull in even compatible with pre-java-5 vms?

4.  (radical idea I haven't tried yet)  I'm becoming increasingly convinced that the state objects in AbstractComponentManager mostly cause confusion and make the code more complicated and less reliable.  The spec really only describes two states, enabled and disabled.  The variations on enabled -- whether the component has all its dependencies satisfied, whether the service is registered, whether there are any implementation objects created -- all seem somewhat orthogonal and depend very much on the environment  and don't seem to relate well to a single "dimension" of state.  I'm considering trying to refactor the code that responds to outside actions (activate/deactivate and dependencies appearing/disappearing) to be more "straight-through" with checks on the specific aspects of state that they need.  Possibly we would want to put the "dynamic state" such as dependencies + instances in a single state object, but this is a different approach to the current state objects which have no internal state.

thanks
david jencks

Re: [DS] Feedback wanted on some ideas

Posted by Andrei Pozolotin <an...@gmail.com>.
Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@adobe.com>.
Hi,

Am 12.10.2012 um 02:29 schrieb David Jencks:

> On Oct 5, 2012, at 12:35 PM, Felix Meschberger wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Am 03.10.2012 um 19:28 schrieb David Jencks:
>>
>>> I've had several ideas about DS enhancements, some of which I've implemented, and would like some feedback about how desirable they are before committing or proceeding with them.
>>>
>>> 1.  (FELIX-3692)  If you manually enable/disable components some of the work gets done asynchronously.  I propose an api for finding out whether this work is done or waiting for it, something like
>>>
>>> boolean tasksCompleted();
>>>
>>> void waitForTasksCompleted();
>>>

>>> on ScrService.   (suggestions for better names welcome :-)  One use would be in our tests to replace the delay() call.
>>
>> -1
>>
>> I think such information is without any value. And our own tests being the sole use cases is a bit weak to add API.
>
> The use cases I have are:
>
> 1. shutdown.  We want to make sure the queue is empty before turning off logging. (FELIX-3704)

This does not need new external API. I think the actor's terminate method can do this before adding the "Terminator" task.

> 2. You might want to install a lot of application deployer components and make sure they are all fully started before starting say a file listener that looks for applications to deploy.  If some of the first set of components are enabled through code, it's hard to tell if they are all completely started without knowing exactly what they are.  Similarly you might want to know if a server is "fully started", i.e. all the components that are enabled have at least tried to activate.

This pretty much sounds like YAGNI.

> I'm not 100% sure this is a good idea, but I think it could have some use.

Ok, then lets not do it right now.

>>> 2.  (FELIX-3557) There are several circumstances in which, as the spec warns, you can't establish a circular dependency between components.  In some of these cases, the order in which the components are activated determines whether all the references are established.  This is hard to understand from a users point of view :-).  Sometimes it's possible to detect these situations and establish the reference asynchronously.  The patch attached to the issue does this but needs a little more work to only try with services from DS components.
>>
>> If I understand the issue/patch correctly, it does something like this: If an optional service cannot be eagerly bound (to call a bind method taking the service instance) due to a circularity (exception thrown from the BundleContext.getService method) it will not be bound but may later be bound if the actual service instance is created. Correct ?
>>
>> I think, this sounds good.
>
> OK, I'll commit it.
>>

>>> For these two, I'm wondering if they would be useful enough to propose for the DS 1.3 spec.
>>
>> Does FELIX-3557 really imply a spec change ? At most it might be kind of an implementation hint.
>
> If you don't think it needs a spec change I won't worry.
>

>>> 3. (re-proposal)  I'd like to propose moving the implementation to java 5 again with generics etc.  The last time I suggested this there was a lot of pushback on the grounds that there are a lot of people using DS on limited platforms.  However, none of these alleged :-) people is using trunk, because for several months the classes pulled from the concurrent library were wrong and trunk just didn't run on pre-java-5 vms.  Are the compendium 4.3 spec classes we pull in even compatible with pre-java-5 vms?
>>
>> The longer I think about it, the more I have to admit that I agree....
>
> I'm going to change this now because it will make some refactoring easier.  If people don't like it we can change back after I'm done.

We should cut a release before refactoring ... A release is long overdue and has been prevented by work around concurrency issues.

Regards
Felix

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
On Oct 5, 2012, at 12:35 PM, Felix Meschberger wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Am 03.10.2012 um 19:28 schrieb David Jencks:
>
>> I've had several ideas about DS enhancements, some of which I've implemented, and would like some feedback about how desirable they are before committing or proceeding with them.
>>
>> 1.  (FELIX-3692)  If you manually enable/disable components some of the work gets done asynchronously.  I propose an api for finding out whether this work is done or waiting for it, something like
>>
>>  boolean tasksCompleted();
>>
>>  void waitForTasksCompleted();
>>

>> on ScrService.   (suggestions for better names welcome :-)  One use would be in our tests to replace the delay() call.
>
> -1
>
> I think such information is without any value. And our own tests being the sole use cases is a bit weak to add API.

The use cases I have are:

1. shutdown.  We want to make sure the queue is empty before turning off logging. (FELIX-3704)
2. You might want to install a lot of application deployer components and make sure they are all fully started before starting say a file listener that looks for applications to deploy.  If some of the first set of components are enabled through code, it's hard to tell if they are all completely started without knowing exactly what they are.  Similarly you might want to know if a server is "fully started", i.e. all the components that are enabled have at least tried to activate.

I'm not 100% sure this is a good idea, but I think it could have some use.

>> 2.  (FELIX-3557) There are several circumstances in which, as the spec warns, you can't establish a circular dependency between components.  In some of these cases, the order in which the components are activated determines whether all the references are established.  This is hard to understand from a users point of view :-).  Sometimes it's possible to detect these situations and establish the reference asynchronously.  The patch attached to the issue does this but needs a little more work to only try with services from DS components.
>
> If I understand the issue/patch correctly, it does something like this: If an optional service cannot be eagerly bound (to call a bind method taking the service instance) due to a circularity (exception thrown from the BundleContext.getService method) it will not be bound but may later be bound if the actual service instance is created. Correct ?
>
> I think, this sounds good.

OK, I'll commit it.

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@adobe.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@adobe.com>.
Hi Andrei,

Am 05.10.2012 um 21:19 schrieb Andrei Pozolotin:

> David:
>
> in case you are open for more revolutionary ideas:
> can we have "DS/SCR annotation service", please? :-)

We have annotations. But those are build-time annotations for a good reason: We don't want to eagerly read/load classes just to find annotations. Rather the annotations are converted into the traditional descriptors which provide for great support of lazy loading.

So, I don't really see a benefit in runtime annotations.

Regards
Felix

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
In felix ds you can use the ScrService to enable or disable any component no matter what bundle it is in.  So I don't think adding another non-spec way to do this is a good idea.

With regard to the configuration ;pd/factory pid I'm not an expert but I think there were some R4.3 changes in how configurationPIDs might be sharable, but I thought previously the first bundle to consume a configurationPID got to use it exclusively.

Also in DS 1.2 you can specify the configurationPID separately from the component name.

david jencks

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.

Re: java 7 osgi core & compendium

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Awesome,

thanks a lot, I will update in Karaf.

Regards
JB

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: java 7 osgi core & compendium

Posted by David Bosschaert <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi David,

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: java 7 osgi core & compendium

Posted by Andrei Pozolotin <an...@gmail.com>.
my motivation for this is not to release "versions side by side", but to
ease migration and related testing

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.
Indeed this would be a bit more effort but I hope the spec jars will
work in the future.
Building the jars ourself was hopefully an exemption.

Christian

--

Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Open Source Architect
Talend Application Integration Divisionhttp://www.talend.com

Re: java 7 osgi core & compendium

Posted by Andreas Pieber <an...@gmail.com>.
Using a little python "replaceall" script :-)

Sorry, I don't mean to offer any offence by this. I just think that this
changes are really, really seldom and would not justify the change in
structure.

Kind regards,
Andreas

Posted by Andrei Pozolotin <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.
+1

--

Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Open Source Architect

Re: java 7 osgi core & compendium

Posted by Andreas Pieber <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi,

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: java 7 osgi core & compendium

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi,

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: java 7 osgi core & compendium

Posted by Christoph Gritschenberger <ch...@gmail.com>.
It seems David Bosschaert is still waiting for some validation of the
jars [1].

kind regards,
christoph

[1] https://www.osgi.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=153#c13

Posted by Andreas Pieber <an...@gmail.com>.
Hey Claus,

4.3.0 and 4.3.1 are exactly the same, except for the advantage that 4.3.1
is built for use with java7. That's also the reason why we've upgraded
Karaf to get the entire thing (finally) java7 ready.

Kind regards,
Andreas

Posted by Christoph Gritschenberger <ch...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

The only change is full JDK-7 compatibility [1] of the jars. The code
has not changed at all.

kind regards,
christoph

[1] http://blog.osgi.org/2012/10/43-companion-code-for-java-7.html

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
Hi

--
Claus Ibsen
-----------------

Posted by Christoph Gritschenberger <ch...@gmail.com>.
Hi JB,

What's the status on the osgi-4.3.1-upgrade on trunk? Is there anything
missing or not working yet?

I'd be happy to help.

kind regards,
christoph

Posted by Christoph Gritschenberger <ch...@gmail.com>.
Hi JB,

Thanks for the update.

kind regards,
christoph

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Christoph,

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: java 7 osgi core & compendium

Posted by Christoph Gritschenberger <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
No problem for me as well.

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: java 7 osgi core & compendium

Posted by Christoph Gritschenberger <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Thanks David,

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: java 7 osgi core & compendium

Posted by David Bosschaert <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrei Pozolotin <an...@gmail.com>.
David:

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.
+1

That would be awesome.

Christian

Posted by David Bosschaert <da...@gmail.com>.
Hi Andrei,

Posted by Andreas Pieber <an...@gmail.com>.
Well Karaf already has it's own core distribution, sondern not much harm
adding one for the compendium too, independently, I've alway thoughts that
Felix might be the better location for it.

Kind regards,
Andreas

java 7 osgi core & compendium

Posted by Andrei Pozolotin <an...@gmail.com>.
great. I will study your sandbox.

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@adobe.com>.
Hi,

Am 05.10.2012 um 23:38 schrieb Andrei Pozolotin:

> Felix:
>
> 1) will you accept comments on your sandbox?

Yes, I will accept comments.

> 2) if so, where should I post it?

You can post them here or create JIRA issues as you like.

Regards
Felix

Posted by Andrei Pozolotin <an...@gmail.com>.
Felix: