Posted to dev@karaf.apache.org by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net> on 2014/01/16 10:50:18 UTC

Minimal karaf distro

We recently talked about using Declarative Services for creating a
smaller karaf distro.

I think we could even go farther than that. I think the core of karaf is
the karaf features and pax url. So how about just starting these in the
startup features.
Everything else could be loaded as a feature and so might be optional.

So basically it would mainly be features core, pax url, pax logging +
their dependencies. As blueprint would be overkill for this scenario we
would have to make the features core only use plain OSGi APIs but that
should be doable. Of course such a runtime would have no shell so we
would need to add some way to stop karaf but that should also be doable.

So what would a user get with this compared to plain OSGi? Basically he
would be able to install all the nice existing features for cxf, camel,
.. and also of course his own application, all from a maven repo.

We might also consider the shell to be a core of karaf but I am not sure
it is absolutely necessary.

If you think this is worth pursuing I could make the features core
independent of blueprint and create a proof of concept distro like
described.

What do you think?

Christian

--
Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Open Source Architect
http://www.talend.com

Re: Minimal karaf distro

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.
For example one use case would be to have this as a basis for custom
distros.
Perhaps someone does not like blueprint or the karaf shell. Currently it
is very difficult to create
a custom distro that does not contain one of these.

With a really minimal karaf base distro a user could pick and choose
exactly what he wants. For example if you create a distro for an
embedded device or mobile device.

.. and perhaps even Neil would like such a minimal distro... No that
would go too far as there is still maven involved.

Christian

--
Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Open Source Architect
http://www.talend.com

Re: Minimal karaf distro

Posted by Achim Nierbeck <bc...@googlemail.com>.

2014/1/16 Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>

> Hi Christian,
>
> what's the value of such Karaf distribution compare to OSGi framework
> (felix) with some bundle in it ?
> It's basically just framework + Karaf feature, right ? We don't have
> shell, management, etc.
>
> Do I understand correctly ?
>
> Regards
> JB
>

> On 01/16/2014 10:50 AM, Christian Schneider wrote:
>
>> We recently talked about using Declarative Services for creating a
>> smaller karaf distro.
>>
>> I think we could even go farther than that. I think the core of karaf is
>> the karaf features and pax url. So how about just starting these in the
>> startup features.
>> Everything else could be loaded as a feature and so might be optional.
>>
>> So basically it would mainly be features core, pax url, pax logging +
>> their dependencies. As blueprint would be overkill for this scenario we
>> would have to make the features core only use plain OSGi APIs but that
>> should be doable. Of course such a runtime would have no shell so we
>> would need to add some way to stop karaf but that should also be doable.
>>
>> So what would a user get with this compared to plain OSGi? Basically he
>> would be able to install all the nice existing features for cxf, camel,
>> .. and also of course his own application, all from a maven repo.
>>
>> We might also consider the shell to be a core of karaf but I am not sure
>> it is absolutely necessary.
>>
>> If you think this is worth pursuing I could make the features core
>> independent of blueprint and create a proof of concept distro like
>> described.
>>
>> What do you think?
>>
>> Christian
>>

> --
> Jean-Baptiste Onofré
> jbonofre@apache.org
> http://blog.nanthrax.net
> Talend - http://www.talend.com

Project Lead
OPS4J Pax for Vaadin <http://team.ops4j.org/wiki/display/PAXVAADIN/Home>
Commiter & Project Lead
blog <http://notizblog.nierbeck.de/>

Re: Minimal karaf distro

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.
I think we all agree that using native OSGi apis for all of karaf is no
good idea.

I only intended to use the native APIs for the feature core bundle. The
setup is definately harder than with DS but it is doable and
allows to have a core ( I think I would even name it bootstrap or
similar) that does not depend on any framework. One advantage would be
that this core would
run with any version of DS and blueprint. If we use one of these
internally we kind of dictate the version as we ship it.

Ideally I would like to see a karaf core or bootstrap that just consists
of two small bundles:
1. Support for mvn urls
2. features core or perhaps in the future subsystems
The system dir of the net distro then only would need to contain these
two bundles + the framework of course.

Of course we are quite far from that but I think it would make sense to
move a bit in the direction of such a simple setup.

Christian

--

Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Open Source Architect

Re: Minimal karaf distro

Posted by Ioannis Canellos <io...@gmail.com>.
> I had the impression to read an e-mail from Peter Kriens ;)

LOL

> I know DS interests. My point was more DS or Blueprint vs OSGi "native". It
> was not between DS and Blueprint.

Ooops. I think that I misunderstood your question.

The problem with the plain OSGi approach, is that its extremely hard
to get it done right and really hard to maintain it.
In the simplest case, you have a service that depends on an other
service and using a plain service tracker is pretty straight forward.
When a service has more than one service dependencies the complexity
starts to increase. You'll need to be extra careful to prevent
concurrency issues and the resulting code will be hard to deal with
(tons of boilerplate all over the place).

And of course, transparency and control wise we wouldn't even be as
near as DS can get us ;-)

--
Ioannis Canellos

Blog: http://iocanel.blogspot.com
Twitter: iocanel

Re: Minimal karaf distro

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
I had the impression to read an e-mail from Peter Kriens ;)

I know DS interests. My point was more DS or Blueprint vs OSGi "native".
It was not between DS and Blueprint.

I agree with your points, and they make sense. I have no problem to
think about this for Karaf 4.0.0, but I would plan tests
(usage/benchmark), etc as it may have an impact for users.

Regards
JB

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: Minimal karaf distro

Posted by Ioannis Canellos <io...@gmail.com>.

Re: Minimal karaf distro

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: Minimal karaf distro

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.
Sounds good.
Is it ok if I convert the features core to DS as a starting point?

Christian

Re: Minimal karaf distro

Re: Minimal karaf distro

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.
I fully agree. Moving from blueprint to OSGi APIs for all of karaf would
be a big step back.

For the features core alone it might be different. It depends on how
much we want to bind ourselfs to DS. As DS has a much smaller footprint
than Blueprint I am ok to even keep it in the core if you prefer.

Christian

--
Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Open Source Architect
http://www.talend.com

Re: Minimal karaf distro

Posted by Achim Nierbeck <bc...@googlemail.com>.

Re: Minimal karaf distro

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
You mean footprint in terms of what ? memory or filesystem ?
Actually both, but mostly filesystem, not that much in terms of memory.
Regarding the issue in blueprint (some are related to the
implementation, not the blueprint spec itself), I'm afraid we will have
similar issues in DS ;)

Regards
JB

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: Minimal karaf distro

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.

--
Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Open Source Architect
http://www.talend.com

Re: Minimal karaf distro

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Ioannis,

Re: Minimal karaf distro

Posted by Ioannis Canellos <io...@gmail.com>.

Re: Minimal karaf distro

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
It's funny: blueprint has been designed to simplify the implementation,
and now, it seems that "we want" move backward.
Of course, we can use Activator, ServiceTracker, directly ConfigAdmin:
on one side you remove a dependency (to blueprint), on another side you
write more plumbing.

Now, I have a question: how many users/people use CXF DOSGi outside of
Karaf (so directly in Felix or Equinox without Blueprint) ?

I just think loud. I think core/minimal/net distributions make sense
(and I already created Jira and started to work on it).
I just wonder about "breaking" feature implementation to remove the
blueprint dependency. Don't get me wrong, I'm not against, I just wonder
the benefit for end users.

I'm still thinking about this.

Regards
JB

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: Minimal karaf distro

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.

--
Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Open Source Architect
http://www.talend.com

Re: Minimal karaf distro

Posted by Achim Nierbeck <bc...@googlemail.com>.

Re: Minimal karaf distro

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.
Hi Achim,

--
Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Open Source Architect
http://www.talend.com

Re: Minimal karaf distro

Posted by Achim Nierbeck <bc...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Ioannis,

Re: Minimal karaf distro

Re: Minimal karaf distro

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.
I would even leave out scr and implement features core with pure OSGi APIs.
Of course we could still refactor all other modules to scr but I think
it makes sense to
not depend on any DI framework in the core.

Christian

--
Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Open Source Architect
http://www.talend.com

Re: Minimal karaf distro

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
I agree, but be careful with the wording: now, I'm pretty sure that the
users don't consider the minimal distribution as you do.

That's why I would prefer core, net, minimal.

My only concern is: do you think it's really expected by users. I mean,
net and minimal could be interesting for users, but core. We can always
do it, but I wonder if it's really helpful for the users.

My 0.02$

I'm still thinking about that ;)

Regards
JB

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: Minimal karaf distro

Re: Minimal karaf distro

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.
That sounds good. My term of minimal was a bit misleading perhaps as I
did not mean to replace the "minimal" distro we have now.
Core might be a better word for it. Of course we would need to also put
some disclaimer on the description of core as it is not very accessible
or usable without a little customization.

I also think we need to work a bit on pax url to see if it can be made
smaller (mostly regarding the number of bundles). I have seen some
discussions on the ops4j lists that go in the same direction.

Christian

--
Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Open Source Architect
http://www.talend.com

Re: Minimal karaf distro

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
I see.

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: Minimal karaf distro

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.

--
Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Open Source Architect
http://www.talend.com

Re: Minimal karaf distro

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Christian,

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: Minimal karaf distro

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Ioannis,

don't mix both.

The net/minimal/core distro will be included in 3.0.1 without changing
the content.

The second step is for 4.x, but no rush.

Regards
JB

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: Minimal karaf distro

Posted by Ioannis Canellos <io...@gmail.com>.

Re: Minimal karaf distro

Posted by xav <xa...@eaton.com>.
all,

good news, for our project, it's will very useful

regards

Re: Minimal karaf distro

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi,

I plan to cleanup and provide new distros for Karaf 3.0.1 (I created the
Jira, and I have local git branches on which I'm working on).

In term of deadline, I'm busy on 2.3.4 release this week. We can plan
3.0.1 in around 3 weeks.

Regards
JB

On 02/05/2014 03:09 PM, xav wrote:
> Hi JB,
>
> I totally agree with you. Do you know, if your work on this task will be
> very huge? and when do you think, than end user could be use this new karaf?
> (just to have an idea !)
>

> Regards
>
> XM

Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org
http://blog.nanthrax.net
Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: Minimal karaf distro

Re: Minimal karaf distro

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Xav,

That's why I propose the first step with net/minimal/core distributions.

But, I think targeting the minimum footprint should not be a final goal.
I mean, of course, we have to be careful on the footprint, but honestly,
look at the footprint now, and look at the features that we provide:
it's not so bad (compare with other containers or application servers ;)).

So, I think we are inline: careful on the footprint, but keep a good
provided features level.

Regards
JB

On 02/05/2014 10:37 AM, xav wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I discussed with Jean-Batiste and Christian on this subject. Here my point
> of view:
> We use Karaf in my project, to having feature and etc.. But we don't use
> blueprint (we use Ipojo), and one a main goal is: have a application based
> on osgi, and have a footprint minimalist (not more 10 Mo for the OSGI
> container). The problem, now with the karaf distribution, is we took lot of
> bundle for nothing (for my project of course), and the size of my
> application is very large, and it's a big problem for me.
>
> Regards

Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org
http://blog.nanthrax.net
Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: Minimal karaf distro

Re: Minimal karaf distro

Posted by sekaijin <jy...@yahoo.fr>.
thank you.
I understand

A+JYT

Re: Minimal karaf distro

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
We are inline: Karaf Cave could be used during the construction of the
distribution.

The purpose is to have atomic features, externalized from Karaf
distribution itself.

Regards
JB

On 01/25/2014 03:56 PM, sekaijin wrote:
> Yes this solution is to first install a Karaf base
> for once installed and configured
> deploy over the transverse featrures of entreprise .
> and finally to deploy specific components in the platform .
>
> but in very large distribution company to have a turnkey , that are deployed
> independently is much more efficient.
> Karaf + only the necessaries features + the transverse features of the
> business in one package allows to deploy tens of times.
>
> we have our package deployed 17 times
> the procedure is the maximun simplified.
> untar , run config shell script to fix name and ports and start .
> all users can perform their work.
>
> we dropped a commercial solution for two reasons
> platform contained many useless. thing possible to remove so it required a
> lot of resources to ussage .
> The deployment process was long , complex and expensive .
>

> It is a bit like ServiceMix
> If you had for install ServiceMix, install Karaf, then install all the
> elements to run ServiceMix. would require a lot of time before we can define
> its first route.
>
> We see the same thing with Eclipse which allows to define distibutions for a
> particular purpose.

Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org
http://blog.nanthrax.net
Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: Minimal karaf distro

Re: Minimal karaf distro

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi,

it's one of the purpose of Karaf Cave: provide an Karaf Features
"Global" Repository. The features are no more embedded into Karaf
directly: Karaf connect to Cave repository providing all features
(likely gathering different feature repositories).

Regards
JB

On 01/25/2014 03:13 PM, sekaijin wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I think the idea of ​​being able to create scalable distributions is
> interresting.
> I defined (version 2.2.2) a distribution, with Karaf core, JPA, JTA,  and
> Camel.
> this diistribution is the basis for a solution for my business that adds a
> number of features specific to our business.
> I did not use ServiceMix or Fuse because my need was not to have ESB. not
> need CXF NMR etc..
>
> To achieve this distribution with version 2.2.2,I had to completely replace
> the featrues defined in Karaf. Karaf base  and Karaf enterprise was
> unsuitable.
>
> in this discussion, you talk about :
> - Karaf core (as you propose)
> - Karaf net (a "lightweight" distribution bootstrapped with an Internet
> connection)
> - Karaf minimal (like the net one but with all embedded in the system
> repository)
> - Karaf (the "complete" distribution)
>
> If we create some "package" like Database, JNDI, Transaction, etc.. in
> different featrues files. and not in karaf enterprise, we open the
> possibility of to create custom distributions that take one or more package
> for specific uses based on Karaf core, Karaf net or Karaf minimal. the full
> distribution is only the sum of the other.
>
> today my distribution is not based on anything. Because Karaf base (2.2.2)
> contains elements that I had to withdraw.
>
> A+JYT
> PS sorry for my approximative english.

Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org