Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Greg Akins <an...@gmail.com> on 2010/08/20 15:33:35 UTC

Doubts regarding repositories

I've been using mvnrepository.com to find my Dependencies.  The
dependencies are resolved through Nexus.

Recently, I searched for axis and was given several choices

1)  groupId: org.apache.axis artifactId: axis version: 1.4
2)  groupId: axis artifactId: axis version: 1.4

When I ran into some problems compiling, I changed from 1 to 2 and
noticed that the jar files (and the poms) aren't the same.

I have two questions.  How can I find out which is the "real" jar, and
how can I determine where the jar is being downloaded from?

--
Greg Akins

http://insomnia-consulting.org
http://www.pghcodingdojo.org
http://pittjug.dev.java.net
http://twitter.com/akinsgre
http://www.linkedin.com/in/akinsgre

Re: Doubts regarding repositories

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
Sadly, no.

Until the recent effort to tighten up central, there were many paths
to putting things in there, and, afaik, no audit trail.  All
mvnrepository.org can do is tell you what it sees, now, in central.
The POM files for the two dueling copies might give you a clue, or
not. As Wayne said, the only way to know the GAV for something is to
go to the source and ask it what GAV they published under.

If the artifacts are signed, it occurs to me, that offers another line
of investigation, but no trivial solution.

Re: Doubts regarding repositories

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
> Right.. I thought there might be a way, on mvnrepository, to see where
> the artifacts are coming from.

I believe mvnrepository.com only indexes Central...

Wayne

Re: Doubts regarding repositories

Posted by Greg Akins <an...@gmail.com>.
Right.. I thought there might be a way, on mvnrepository, to see where
the artifacts are coming from.

I assume one of those is an "Official" Axis jar, and the other
is..well.. unofficial :-)

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
> I have two questions.  How can I find out which is the "real" jar, and
> how can I determine where the jar is being downloaded from?

You'd have to ask the Apache Axis team. The Maven Users list couldn't