Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Malcolm Davis <ma...@nuearth.com> on 2002/09/23 02:02:08 UTC

Indemnification & copyright

To Struts Team, Developers and Users

I am presently in a predicament on my present contract.  I
am not allowed to use STRUTS unless my employer can be
indemnified from copyright or patent infringement.
1.  Is there anyway my employer can be indemnified from
copyright or patent infringement with Struts?
2.  Is there a company that provides this service?
3.  Is this really an issue with Struts?

The liability extends from the use of intellectual property.
A developer knowingly or unknowingly contributes a piece of
software to the Open Source community that contains
intellectual property.  I then use that piece of open source
software.

Thanks for any comments,
malcolm

Re: Indemnification & copyright

Posted by Eddie Bush <ek...@swbell.net>.
I don't understand what you mean.  I believe the ASF license is such
that you can include things from them (you need to give credit somehow
for what you do use), but not have to do anything special.  You wouldn't
have to make it open-source or anything like that.

I suppose you mean your employer wants to be sure that THEY are not sued
for a copyright/patent infringement.  I don't see how it would arise.
 Everything is meant to be given away and built upon.  Given away by
them and built upon by us.  We may use it however we see fit.  You
really should give credit for what you use though.

I think probably the final word would come from a lawyer.  You could get
a copy of the license agreement from the web and go over it with a
lawyer.  Hopefully someone more familiar with legal matters can give you
better advice.  I'm not sure I fully understand your circumstance :-)

--
Eddie Bush

all this traffic

Posted by Jonas Björnerstedt <jo...@bjornerstedt.org>.
Hello all,

A couple of days away from my computer has resulted in 473 unread postings.
It's a bit frustrating trying to use a high traffic mailing list like this
one. Here are some suggestions:

- Have a struts-answers mailing list. If I found a discussion interesting -
such as the one on container managed security - I could simply forward it to
the answers list. The cost of asking a question could be to compile the
answers and submit it to the list. This could be a cheap way of getting
better documentation.

- A struts-beginners list might be a good idea too. Sometimes the blind are
not all that bad at leading the blind.

- One could also consider having a struts-tags list. With JSF coming, there
are going to be more people that are not interested in the Struts tags.

Jonas

documenting jsp tags

Posted by A Stephen <st...@attbi.com>.
Greetings,
Is there a javadoc like facility, that documents TLD's /jsp Tags ?

Thank you,
A Stephen.

RE: [OT] Indemnification & copyright

Posted by Malcolm Davis <ma...@nuearth.com>.
ha, ha!  Great question!
Nothing that I know of....

From: "Malcolm Davis" <ma...@nuearth.com>
> I appreciate everybody's comments.
>
> This problem extends beyond Struts, but to all freeware,
> opens source, etc, inside this particular organization.
The
> organization is a multi-billion dollar IT firm, (I will
> leave it at that).
>
> 1.  The contribution of the copyright or patent material
> might be totally accidental in nature.
> 2.  Apache does not indemnify the software against
copyright
> or patent infringement.
>
> I like the 'receipt for cheap car stereo' analogy.
>
> Microsoft paid $100 Million over 'accidental patent
material

Posted by David Derry <dd...@acm.org>.