Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net> on 2009/02/14 19:53:50 UTC

Commits Breaking Demo

Re: Commits Breaking Demo

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.

David E Jones sent the following on 2/14/2009 12:02 PM:

> On Feb 14, 2009, at 12:11 PM, BJ Freeman wrote:
>
>> Actually I was basing this on your email David.
>> So I am not sure what your standard is.
>
> I'm sorry, which email was that? I don't remember writing anything about
> testing and maintenance on the demo server anytime recently.
it was about commits. that that was my statement. You interpreted it to
mean the Demo server. that is where you and i have problems.

David E Jones sent the following on 11/25/2008 9:22 PM:

> [...]
> not fully understand. If you really want to work on such a contribution
> then work to fully understand the parts involved and the changes in the
> patch. Alternatively, get someone else involved who has worked in that
> area and be patient for further involvement. Remember in the committer
> guidelines it mentions something about "first do no harm", or in other
> words don't break stuff when trying to improve it or things related to it.
>
> Also, please be careful with other commits that seem to not be reviewed
> a whole lot. One example is localization patches. These seem to go in
> with little or no review, and the result is there are a LOT of weird and
> confusing labels throughout OFBiz. I usually look at OFBiz in English,
> and even there I've noticed a lot of cases where the original text was
> replaced by something that means something different from the original.
> We need to all be more careful, and while it's great to get
> contributions in we shouldn't feel pressured to get them in fast without
> careful review. In fact, the more contributions are reviewed and the
> more feedback we give as committers the more people contributing will
> learn and the higher the chances are that they will get more closely
> involved with OFBiz, and join the team of committers.
>
> Thanks,
> -David
>

> The demo server is what it is. It would be nice if there was more
> volunteer effort to watch and maintain it, but I guess that isn't the case.
>
>> Have you looked at the Demo lately?
>
> Within the last few days, yes. But no, I don't use it or keep an eye on
> it regularly.
>
>> however the current problem is the CommonUiLabels don't seem be showing
>> up, and is causing pages not to load.
>> One such example
>> click on Catalog then shipping
>> org.ofbiz.widget.screen.ScreenRenderException: Error rendering screen
>> [component://common/widget/CommonScreens.xml#GlobalDecorator]:
>> java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Could not find resource bundle
>> [CommonUiLabels] in the locale [en_US] (Could not find resource bundle
>> [CommonUiLabels] in the locale [en_US])
>
> Thank you, that is much more detail than your first message, and is
> actually something that can be looked at. Simply saying that "I thought
> that we agreed that commits were to be tested, before not after they are
> in the SVN" comes across as not only bitter, but is also not actionable.
> Is that difference clear?
>
> I have noticed the labels problem in ecommerce, however I have also
> noticed that it is not happening my local instance. A couple of days ago
> when I saw it I thought perhaps the update on the server happened at a
> bad time, and it would fix itself, but not it appears there is something
> wrong on the server.
>
> That means someone has to hop on and figure out what is happening, which
> is where capable/experienced and available volunteers come into play.
Again and other of your Emails when the Demo servers first came up said
it was the SVN image. So I use it to decide if the svn is ready to be
downloaded.
so apparently that is not the case, meaning there are scripts that
modify the SVN image or don't download the complete Svn.
So I will be mute on the Demo server from now on.

Re: Commits Breaking Demo

Posted by David E Jones <da...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Re: Commits Breaking Demo

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.