Posted to xindice-dev@xml.apache.org by Michael Hearn <mi...@theoretic.com> on 2001/12/13 23:21:49 UTC

Stability and open bug database?

Hiya again,

Unfortunately although I'd very much like to use Xindice in my software,
I've been plagued by constant instabilities in the software which have
rendered it virtually unusable to me. For instance, even on a clean
install the software will sometimes throw exceptions for me on startup
(this is before even creating a new collection), and then proceed to
start as normal. If I shutdown the server using the command, and restart
it, there will be some different exceptions. Unfortunately it doesn't
log exceptions and as I can't scroll back to see what the exceptions are
(the stack trace is so long it fills the screen) I can't figure out how
to try and fix it. Running the shutdown command (which for some reason
asks for a collection context, so i give it /) sometimes works fine, and
other times will make the server shut down but also throw a load of
exceptions itself - usually it says that the shutdown succeeded "maybe".
Adding a collection throws an exception for some reason, but appears to
succeed. Then I try it again after deleting it, and it works without an
exception!

I don't mean to complain as I know that everyone on the project is a
volunteer, but if there are any known stability problems could they be
documented with workarounds? Alteratively an open bug database would be
nice. At the very least it'd be nice to have some kind of exception
handling built in, rather than just dumping a stack trace to the output.

When I figure out how to get Forte to build it, I might have some time
to help out and do something about all this stuff i've just been moaning
about. Otherwise could somebody please advise what i could do to
increase it's stability?

thanks -mike

--
______________________________
Michael Hearn

Re: Stability and open bug database?

Posted by er...@rcn.com.
This doesn't answer your bug database or stability needs, but if
you want to "log" the exceptions you only have to redirect stdout
and stderr (I believe the exceptions go to stderr) with syntax on the
command line. Assuming you're starting it by running a script (e.g.
startup.bat on Windows) you'll want to edit the script and add the
output redirection to the line that executes the actual java
command. In startup.bat, it should be something like (excuse the
line breaks):

%JAVACMD% -Xms16m -Xmx128m -
Ddbxml.home=%DBXML_HOME% -classpath
"%LOCALCLASSPATH%" -noverify org.dbxml.core.server.dbXML
%DBXML_HOME%\config\system.xml >out.log 2>err.log

To send std to the file "out.log" and stderr to the file "err.log"

If you're running on Unix, you can similarly modify the shell script
"start" (unless I'm mistaken, the stdout and stderr redirection
syntax is the same).

Posted by Michael Hearn <mi...@theoretic.com>.
Well, here's a stack trace, not sure if it'll help any. It seems to be
dying reading/writing the DB files, possibly due to corruption of some kind?
Dreamio by the way is just what I changed the codename to for my local
build.

dbXML 1.0b4 (Dreamio)

Database: 'db' initializing
DEBUG>
java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException
    at java.io.ByteArrayInputStream.read(ByteArrayInputStream.java:169)
    at org.dbxml.core.filer.Paged$Page.streamFrom(Paged.java:942)
    at org.dbxml.core.filer.Paged.writeValue(Paged.java:185)
    at org.dbxml.core.filer.BTreeFiler.writeRecord(BTreeFiler.java:165)
    at org.dbxml.core.Collection.putDocument(Collection.java:600)
    at org.dbxml.core.Collection.putObject(Collection.java:766)
    at org.dbxml.core.Collection.setObject(Collection.java:778)
    at
org.dbxml.core.SystemCollection.saveSymbols(SystemCollection.java:200)
    at
org.dbxml.core.SystemCollection.loadSymbols(SystemCollection.java:183)
    at org.dbxml.core.Collection.setConfig(Collection.java:168)
    at org.dbxml.core.CollectionManager$1.process(CollectionManager.java:88)
    at
org.dbxml.server.Configuration.processChildren(Configuration.java:669)
    at org.dbxml.core.CollectionManager.setConfig(CollectionManager.java:84)
    at org.dbxml.core.Collection.setConfig(Collection.java:209)
    at org.dbxml.core.SystemCollection.init(SystemCollection.java:153)
    at org.dbxml.core.Database.setConfig(Database.java:146)
    at
org.dbxml.core.server.services.dbXMLService.initialize(dbXMLService.java:95)
    at
org.dbxml.server.standard.StdServiceManager.addService(StdServiceManager.java:157)
    at
org.dbxml.server.standard.StdServiceManager$1.process(StdServiceManager.java:95)
    at
org.dbxml.server.Configuration.processChildren(Configuration.java:669)
    at
org.dbxml.server.standard.StdServiceManager.setConfig(StdServiceManager.java:81)
    at org.dbxml.server.Kernel.loadAPI(Kernel.java:349)
    at org.dbxml.server.Kernel.<init>(Kernel.java:140)
    at org.dbxml.core.server.dbXML.main(dbXML.java:89)
Script: 'GET' added to script storage
Service: 'db' started
Service: 'GopherServer' started @ gopher://mercury:4070/
Service: 'HTTPServer' started @ http://mercury:4080/
Service: 'APIService' started

Server Running

I'll continue investigating.
thanks -mike

--
______________________________

Posted by Michael Hearn <mi...@theoretic.com>.
(didn't appear to get through, again, resending)

OK, many thanks Kimbro, you've answered many of my questions.

 > This is not normal and I've never seen it do this on UNIX. I have
 > however heard of something like this on windows, I think it's usually
 > windows 98 but to this point I haven't been convinced that it is
 > anything but a rare occurrence due to misconfiguration. If that is not
 > the case I'd like to hear more detail on it.

Yes, you're right, this is on Windows 98 with the Sun JDK 1.3.1_01
release. I'm pretty sure I've configured it correctly, as in setup the
environment variables and run the server according to instructions. I
appreciate that most of you will work on Linux, but I haven't currently
got it set up. Soon hopefully.

 > The shutdown command needs the collection context because that is how
 > it locates the server. In a default installation /db would be the
 > proper context to use.

Ah, ok. Would using / as the collection context instead cause problems?

 > There is exception handling built in but like many things in the
 > server it isn't perfect and you seem to actually be encountering
 > things that are true exceptions.

Hmm, OK. I'll see if I can improve it on windows.

Oh yes, one thing - it's not possible to pipe STDERR in DOS (grr) but
you can use a little program called stderr.exe to join stderr and stdout
together so they can be captured. Just for future reference you know, if
you get someone else on windows with a long exception.

thanks -mike

Re: Stability and open bug database?

Posted by Kimbro Staken <ks...@dbxmlgroup.com>.