Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by jo...@wellsfargo.com.INVALID on 2022/10/20 16:56:24 UTC

Tomcat 10.1.1 error starting

Good morning,

I am getting the following error when trying to start a very generic setup of Tomcat 10.1.1 on Windows Server 2019.

Error: A JNI error has occurred, please check your installation and try again
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: org/apache/catalina/startup/Bootstrap has been compiled by a more recent version of the Java Runtime (class file version 55.0), this version of the Java Runtime only recognizes class file versions up to 52.0
        at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:142)
        at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(URLClassLoader.java:473)
        at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$100(URLClassLoader.java:74)
        at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:362)
        at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:355)
        at sun.launcher.LauncherHelper.checkAndLoadMain(LauncherHelper.java:601)

Is there a minimum version of Java 8 that is required?

Thanks,

Dream * Excel * Explore * Inspire
Jon McAlexander
Senior Infrastructure Engineer
Asst. Vice President
He/His

Middleware Product Engineering
Enterprise CIO | EAS | Middleware | Infrastructure Solutions

8080 Cobblestone Rd | Urbandale, IA 50322
MAC: F4469-010
Tel 515-988-2508 | Cell 515-988-2508

jonmcalexander@wellsfargo.com<ma...@wellsfargo.com>
This message may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the addressee or authorized to receive this for the addressee, you must not use, copy, disclose, or take any action based on this message or any information herein. If you have received this message in error, please advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this message. Thank you for your cooperation.

RE: Tomcat 10.1.1 error starting

Posted by jo...@wellsfargo.com.INVALID.
Thank you and Noted!

Posted by Chuck Caldarale <n8...@gmail.com>.
> On 2022 Oct 20, at 18:56, <jo...@wellsfargo.com.invalid> <jo...@wellsfargo.com.INVALID> wrote:
>
> Good morning,
>
> I am getting the following error when trying to start a very generic setup of Tomcat 10.1.1 on Windows Server 2019.
>
> Error: A JNI error has occurred, please check your installation and try again
> Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: org/apache/catalina/startup/Bootstrap has been compiled by a more recent version of the Java Runtime (class file version 55.0), this version of the Java Runtime only recognizes class file versions up to 52.0
>
> Is there a minimum version of Java 8 that is required?

See https://tomcat.apache.org/whichversion.html <https://tomcat.apache.org/whichversion.html>; Tomcat 10.1.x requires Java 11 or later.

  - Chuck

Re: Tomcat 10.1.1 error starting

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 20/10/2022 17:56, jonmcalexander@wellsfargo.com.INVALID wrote:
> Good morning,
>
> I am getting the following error when trying to start a very generic setup of Tomcat 10.1.1 on Windows Server 2019.
>
> Error: A JNI error has occurred, please check your installation and try again
> Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: org/apache/catalina/startup/Bootstrap has been compiled by a more recent version of the Java Runtime (class file version 55.0), this version of the Java Runtime only recognizes class file versions up to 52.0

<snip/>

> Is there a minimum version of Java 8 that is required?

Tomcat 10.1.x requires Java 11 as a minimum.

Mark

RE: Tomcat 10.1.1 error starting

Posted by jo...@wellsfargo.com.INVALID.
Awesome Possum!