Posted to geospatial@apache.org by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org> on 2018/09/28 17:58:23 UTC

H3

There was a lot of talk about H3 during the geospatial track. “It will change the world (or at least the way we represent it)” said George, IIRC.

I presume these are the best resources for it: https://github.com/uber/h3 <https://github.com/uber/h3> (code) and https://uber.github.io/h3/#/ <https://uber.github.io/h3/#/> (documentation).

Does anyone know of a SQL database that has added H3 functions? Also, is there are pure Java implementation (not just bindings that talk to a C back-end)?

Aside: H3 is an awful name for a library when it comes to search. Worse than “Go” and “C++”, if that was possible.

Julian

Re: H3

Posted by George Percivall <gp...@opengeospatial.org>.
Julian,

Some responses to the question
> "SQL database that has added DGGS functions”?

1. There is a PostgreSQL binding for H3 at https://github.com/dlr-eoc/pgh3

2. Riskaware's Open-Eaggr DGGS (https://github.com/riskaware-ltd/open-eaggr) says it integrates with Postgres and uses ISEA3H and ISEA4T grids.

3. there is an R library here: https://github.com/r-barnes/dggridR

On the up and coming: NRCan is supporting a project to create a DGGS domain language which is essentially SQL/noSQL style image algebra for DGGS.  It features DGGS data fusion capabilities through simple command sets - traverse, compute, select and aggregate summaries ala map/filter/reduce. The intention is to publish the DGGS Language in the open community and a repository of executables on Github. It is presently in predesign phase so guessing a year away. Some consultation within the OGC DGGS community will occur early in the new year although the topic has already been discussed in the SWG and DWG.

Regards,
George

>>> https://www.slideshare.net/ClintonDow/dggs-python-geopython-2017
>>> https://vimeo.com/204787821
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xh5csOiRVsk

Re: H3

Posted by George Percivall <gp...@opengeospatial.org>.
Julian,

Re: H3

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>.
George,

Re: H3

Posted by George Percivall <gp...@opengeospatial.org>.
My comment was about Discrete Global Grid Systems in general and the role of the OGC standard.

OGC Discrete Global Grid Systems standard
 http://docs.opengeospatial.org/as/15-104r5/15-104r5.html

From the OGC DGGS standard:  "A DGGS is a spatial reference system that uses a hierarchical tessellation of cells to partition and address the globe. DGGS are characterized by the properties of their cell structure, geo-encoding, quantization strategy and associated mathematical functions.The OGC DGGS Abstract Specification supports the specification of standardized DGGS infrastructures that enable the integrated analysis of very large, multi-source, multi-resolution, multi-dimensional, distributed geospatial data. Interoperability between OGC DGGS implementations is anticipated through implementation standards, and extension interface encodings of OGC Web Services.”